GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why some cars pop and bang and mine dont, I had the pleasure of driving NLW's car back from Northampton yesterday :D and the cars behind us were keeping thier distances for fear of being blown off the road from all the poping and banging as the exhaust lets go.. but on mine nuffin at all, I have just changed my exhaust to a hyper from a drager but even with the drager on it still didn't make any rude noises... any ideas...?

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Paul,

You certainly don't need a vent to atmos bov. It's simply too much fuel. If you run rich, she'll pop and bang with the excess fuel. Mine used to on overrun but since she was re-mapped by Rod, she doesn't any more but does use a lot less fuel. She does still do the odd flameout though. Sounds like yours is setup 'correctly'.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cams

Thats the thing though, I have 264 / 272 cams fitted & set up by Rod and when i first got the car back it used to do this, but for some reason it just stopped, and latley I have benn getting somewhere in the region of 170 miles to the tank full and the rear of the car is always yellow so I can assume its running richer that standard... I am just worried that something is up with it as it seems to drives ok ( just a bit slower than I would like).. kicks out aload of black crap when booting it ( most of the time)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like you are running too rich to me. Black 'crap' out of the back when you boot it would tend to indicate running very rich. I can adjust the fuel pressure on my car. If I set it up very rich it seems to irradicate the popping and banging. My car used to pop more when it was standard infact. I would say popping and banging is indicative of a good/maybe slighlty rich setup. You should be running slightly rich (at the top end) with turbo cars however, as it helps to prevent detonation. Hope this helps

Kristian

·
Registered
57 Posts
If it's yellow on the body work, are you sure she's not burning oil? This would probably also prevent the popping and banging. Oil does seem to cause that sort of colouration on the body work. Just a thought. Could it be overfull with oil? Petrol might also produce this discolouration though, not sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts