GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. I want to restore my R33 and see a lot about POR15. But speaking to a few people i've heard it can fail and make things worse?

Is good old Waxoyl and regular inspection the best way?

Thnx

Paul

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've just finished a restoration of the underside of my r33 and used 2 coats of Rust bullet on the bare metal, 3 coats of bilt hamber expoy and then finished it off with 2 coats of gravitex

I had used waxoyl on it in the past and never again!!! The rust was worse on the waxoyl areas than it was on the untreated areas

·
Super Moderator
15,592 Posts
Interesting you say that, I've got an MR2 waxoyled (MK1) and it has been absolutely spot on. No rust at all, which is rare for them LOL.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting replies. I've seen cars rusting through the Epoxy mastic stuff, which put me off that from day 1. I assume that can only happen with bad prep?

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
interesting replies. I've seen cars rusting through the Epoxy mastic stuff, which put me off that from day 1. I assume that can only happen with bad prep?

Yes, IMO - bad prep.

check this link from Zealou5.

https://www.zealou5.com/blog/2017/3/11/shrek-r34-gtr-r1-underside-restoprotection

Shrek only had very minor surface rust in a few places (9th & 10th photo down from the top)

Even so, all areas where taken back to bare metal (11th & 12th photo)

Then 3 layers of 121 were applied by spray, rather than 1 or 2 thick layers applied by paint brush. (25th photo onwards)

:)

·
GT-RDC Founder Member
12,457 Posts
Preparation is everything. Lets not kid ourselves these cars are riddled with water trap area's. Here's a 34 we are working on.

We have replaced the upper strut tops, our detail included original spot welds and UL UR stamps in the steel. Indistinguishable from the real thing when painted.

Attachments

·
GT-RDC Founder Member
12,457 Posts
we use a purpose made chemical based paint remover. We remove it all. Under your paint will shock you.

Attachments

·
GT-RDC Founder Member
12,457 Posts
we use micra media spot blast to remove all the minute corrosion area's that are missed during a "usual" repaint.

You can see the strip process below inc the final detail media application. The small spots you see are minute rust area's that we remove and treat.

The car your viewing isnt grey nor silver its the bare steel.

Attachments

·
GT-RDC Founder Member
12,457 Posts
when we fit our replacement panels we use a industrial weld through sealant, removing the factory error water trap for good. Pointless replacing the panel only to let it come back again.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've used the POR-15 system inside my boot. I had the typical R32 leaky rear lights that caused surface rust in the wheel well. I used the complete system and like has been mentioned before, prep is key!
However, that POR-15 system (cleaner, degreaser, rust preventer and paint) seems spot on for the repairs I required; and it comes loaded with health warnings. Anything in this day an age with that many 'nasty's' still in it, must mean its good :chuckle:
I found an old can of my dads GUNK engine cleaner the other day as well, late 1980's tin. Its like alien blood, I spilt a bit and it melted through to the earths core, I'm sure! All this modern stuff is nowhere near as good!
The more health warns the better the product!

·
Registered
992 Posts
You should have a look at Bilt Hambers range of rust preventative products. They have quite good reviews.

A friend of mine did the areas behind panels (front wings, rear bumper etc) of his R32 with BH stuff - ground off any exiting surface rust treated it all with Hydrate 80 to kill any remnants and covered it with epoxy mastic and did the underside and arches with waxoyl. He's quite fanatical when it comes to rust treatment so I take his word for rust protection as the Bible.

I myself bought the BH S50 for the enclosed areas (box sections, sills etc) and Dynax UC for the underside and exposed areas. Fortunately any rust on mine is bare minimal so I don't have to go town with the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've just finished a restoration of the underside of my r33 and used 2 coats of Rust bullet on the bare metal, 3 coats of bilt hamber expoy and then finished it off with 2 coats of gravitex

I had used waxoyl on it in the past and never again!!! The rust was worse on the waxoyl areas than it was on the untreated areas
Have a look at rust.co.uk they have some great stuff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts