GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of going down this route but have no idea of fitting etc. 4 pot front and back.

Anyone had any experience? Tips? Will it work? What to look out for?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Thinking of going down this route but have no idea of fitting etc. 4 pot front and back.

Anyone had any experience? Tips? Will it work? What to look out for?
The best match I could find piston wise was one of the Brembo 6 pot designs. THere are two versions one with bigger pistons (total area) and one with smaller pistons. I can't remember exactly which way round it was but one was a reasonable match (probably the smaller piston item).

NB They aren't a radial mount so you'd need a bespoke bracket and maybe some trimming.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always hate researching brakes. Leads me to all the way to thinking about retrofitting some carbon astons. Have also read about 370z akebonos, d2/ksport, alcon. wilwood, ap, brembo gt...........

Why can't it be easy?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Always hate researching brakes. Leads me to all the way to thinking about retrofitting some carbon astons. Have also read about 370z akebonos, d2/ksport, alcon. wilwood, ap, brembo gt...........

Why can't it be easy?
£ for £ I'd say teh Akebonos would be the best bet. Kits form the US are pretty cheap and being OEM brakes you should be able to get parts easily.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Alcons work out to 4.5k inc vat, AP similar. Theses cost me not much more than D2 and there is no comparison between the two. Also I do not believe the Alcon street spec are any better than then Brembo in fact the Brembo is much much better caliper.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought about it long and hard. I'm not going to be using the car for track (very rarely once in a year or so I guess) so buying a massive kit would just be wasting the use of it. Didn't want to be faffing about with making brackets etc. Went instead for the old school 4 pot grex alcon kit for the front.

Is it better to start looking for a matching rear set? Or should I go for 33/34 set up on the back with good pads? Will there be an issue of bias?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
I thought about it long and hard. I'm not going to be using the car for track (very rarely once in a year or so I guess) so buying a massive kit would just be wasting the use of it. Didn't want to be faffing about with making brackets etc. Went instead for the old school 4 pot grex alcon kit for the front.

Is it better to start looking for a matching rear set? Or should I go for 33/34 set up on the back with good pads? Will there be an issue of bias?
Are you running the stock MC?

Easiest rear upgrade is the Brembo. Given the weight distribution of the car I cannot see much need for more on the rear calipers (i.e. 2 pot opposed should be fine) for a road car.

I'll tell you how I get on with mine when Bob fires them over.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you running the stock MC?

Easiest rear upgrade is the Brembo. Given the weight distribution of the car I cannot see much need for more on the rear calipers (i.e. 2 pot opposed should be fine) for a road car.

I'll tell you how I get on with mine when Bob fires them over.
Yeah stock at the moment but will be changing that over to a bm57, or if you know where I can get a stagea one from I'll run that as supposedly that is the best? Apart from AS.

I'm thinking of going for a 34 n1 rear set up, from what I know it's different to standard as it pushes out the disc and calliper? Am I correct in thinking that to install it on the 32 I'd have to drill bigger holes?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Yeah stock at the moment but will be changing that over to a bm57, or if you know where I can get a stagea one from I'll run that as supposedly that is the best? Apart from AS.

I'm thinking of going for a 34 n1 rear set up, from what I know it's different to standard as it pushes out the disc and calliper? Am I correct in thinking that to install it on the 32 I'd have to drill bigger holes?
Late model R34 uses a larger rear disc. I forget exactly but it's something like 323mm vs 300mm. The caliper has longer mounts to suit. I beelive that the calipers are gold rather than red.

You may have problems sourcing discs etc for this set-up. The only set I could find was via Japan for £££. Seemed a lot of money for plain discs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.