GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris Harris tries to set up some test drivers:
Porsche GT3 RS laps the Ring | Car News | Supercars | evo

"There's one question I'd like answered though - what's the longevity of these road cars at such insane speeds. I mean, how many laps can a 1740kg GTR do sub-7m30s before the brakes melt and the tyres go pop? Likewise the 'Vette. I reckon we should push for a 4-lap challenge from now on. Were it possible, I reckon the Porsche might just get the job done".

I wouldn't be surprice if the GT-R managed 4 x 7,30 if called for...:runaway:

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
its our own blow dog comenting....

I reckon the only reason is the blow dogs is getting nervous, his wife likes the GTR more as its

better looking
attracts more attention
get the kids in the back and their crap in the boot
faster than his gt3 thing

perhaps blow dog just wants time away from the kids in his own toy

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like it because it really shows up porsche. They tried to cry foul when the GT-R fairly beat them at the 'ring and despite nissan having been vindicated the owner of the GT-R forum still gives praise where it's due to porsche. Must make them feel about two feet tall

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
@ David.Yu: Porsche???

aren´t they the cars which have been parked in the barriers last thursday,when it was a bit wet on the Ring?? :nervous:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ladies,

Speaking for myself, and probably completely out of turn; :)

even if the tables were turned and the Porker was quicker than the GT-R, and cost 25p, I would still have my GT-R. It's a better car. Period.

Lots of love,
Me

P.S. I love you GT-R
If I had some talent, I would write a song about you darling.
:clap:

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Based on those prices, you should be able to buy two GT-Rs, do one lap in the first, get out, change cars and then use the second for the next lap. Then swap back again before finishing the last of your four laps in the second car. Even allowing for the pit stop you'd probably still beat the squished V-dub! :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Based on those prices, you should be able to buy two GT-Rs, do one lap in the first, get out, change cars and then use the second for the next lap.
Thats really the killer point.

No-one will ever settle the 'which is faster' argument, as millions of internet fanboys/conspiracy theorists on both side have their opinions. The fact is that within the bounds of error, the GTR performs as well as the GT3/RS/Turbo on track, but for half the price.

However, Nissan do need to resolve the cooling on the car, as thats the main issue where Porsche beats Nissan hands-down. When I ran 10 back-to-back laps with Blowdog at Snetterton in his GT3, we were literally within 1 second of each other after 20 minutes lapping, there was nothing in it and as anyone who was there on the day will know, we were lapping very fast. The difference was that after that session, his GT3 showed normal temps for everything and required an oil change at 12,000 miles or 2 years and transmission oil change at (if I recall correctly) 60,000 miles. The GTR required all oils changing within 1,800 miles (now 3,000).

It is therefore clear that one is engineered to be used extensively on track and the other isn't.

IMHO Nissan need to either:

1. Produce an engineering solution that does allow use on track without over-heating the car (Kisliks oil even with Willall went to 145c on the ring after 5 laps, mine as stock was 130c after one lap!).

2. Stop marketing the car as a track-car, specifically at the ring, if it cannot do it without overheating after a few laps.

It would really help if Nissan GB sold a Track-Pack, to include extra oil coolers.

Now that Porsche are selling the Turbo with a 7 speed twin-clutch gearbox it will be interesting to see the service intervals/costs, as the gearbox is directly comparable to the Nissan one (the car is similar power, slightly lower weight and does 0-100mph in 7.0 secs). I'm betting that their gearbox will be adequately cooled and will have no temperature based service intervals in the owners manual!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
some cooling enhancements and options mooted for next year

recent rumours,commentary, on GTR blog

ed

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
IMHO Nissan need to either:

1. Produce an engineering solution that does allow use on track without over-heating the car (Kisliks oil even with Willall went to 145c on the ring after 5 laps, mine as stock was 130c after one lap!).

2. Stop marketing the car as a track-car, specifically at the ring, if it cannot do it without overheating after a few laps.
Just get the Willall Racing oil in your GR6 and stop worrying. :) It takes all the abuse you throw at it. Kislik is running it in his and he doesn´t have to replace the oil just because he got 145C on the Ring. :) Sure, the car could do with a gearbox cooler but unless you push it as hard as Kislik, a change to Willall oil is really sufficient.

/P

·
Registered
300 Posts
The difference was that after that session, his GT3 showed normal temps for everything and required an oil change at 12,000 miles or 2 years and transmission oil change at (if I recall correctly) 60,000 miles. The GTR required all oils changing within 1,800 miles (now 3,000).

That's a bit wrong !

It is not required to do an oil change only in you reached over 120c more than 5% of the time.

But 100% true...GTR is not a track car. It was never intended to be and i don't see why nissan would put money to improve cooling that much. And by what US GTR owners show, a cooler is good yes but it is never going to be a GT3RS

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Porsche are obviously thick and don't see the total advantage of a car weighing 1740kg.

They obviously haven't watched the pistonheads interview :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Who cares?

The bottom line is the idiots who look at these times and feel good about their car probably don't have the driving talent to get anywhere near those times anyway.

The bottom line is you put two average to above average drivers in such a car and I'm pretty sure the GTR would win hands down. THat's all that matters because that's the reality for 99% of the people who own them. They're good drivers at best, but many are far from great.

When you consider its what %40-%50 cheaper then it starts to make more sense.

Lastly, who the hell wants to do multiple laps of the nurb at that crazy sort of pace?

If this is the case then try racing a 35k Ultima agaisnt the posrsche or GTR/GT3 and I assure you it'll destroy them both at a fraction of the price.

And when I say desotry I'm talking around the 6:58 mark.

So Nissan and Porsche can both shut up as far as I'm concerned because even the basic version of the Ultima makes both of them look slow.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I agree entirely. The Ultima was tracked at Top Gear (unofficially) and did a 1 minute 12 point something. SEVEN seconds per lap faster than the GT-R.
Nuff said.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Another great advantage of the GTR over a GT3RS is that, unlike the Porker, people will actually let you out of a side turning in the Nissan!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts