GTR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As I am not driving my car during the winter, I just went tu turn it on a bit today...
Noticed that there is some water collecting on this joint of my Russ Fellows exhaust and made a conclusion that is a condensation and that exhaust is leaking here...:mad:
If you take closer look at this picture, you will se a bit darker color (moisture).
The car was still cold... (it's 0 deg C outside...)

When car heated up, it dissapeared of course...
As I am 99% sure that it exhaust leakage, I suppose this should not be so and exhaust shoud be 100% sealed, right?
I hope it is fixed easily by retightening this and a bit repositioning...
Advices are welcome...

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
The exhaust isn't leaking.

Most likely explanation is hydrogen escaping from the weld combines with oxygen in the atmosphere to produce water.

It's the reason why paint bubbles over welded metal quicker than the unwelded areas.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, never heared of this...
But how come that the other welds are fine? The only one where water is collecting this one near the joint.
What is the easiest way to check this for leaking?
I couldn't reach it by hand to try feel the vapors...

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Seriously why the panic?

The area where the moisture lies is by a weld connecting a support to the pipe work. On top of that if you had a leak you would hear it given gases can pass through gaps easier than fluids.

is there a pool of water on the floor underneath? I don't see any in the photo.

If you are really that concerned (and I really can't see why) take the exhaust off and visually check it.

I'd suggest it's absolutely nothing to worry about but it's your car so do what you like.

How about emailing Russ and asking him?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No panic, but I don't like to see such surprises...
There was a pool of water on the floor actually, but I removed the car when I took this picture.
I will definitely check it, I don't think that the weld is faulty, my guess is that the exhaust is not sitting 100% correctly.
My guess is that I will just need to loosen it, adjust it and retighten...
Especially as my exhaust tips are not aligned, one side is more in and another more out...
I will email Russ and ask him, that is a good advice...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts