GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

wanting to address my Achilles heel over the winter break... i don't want to pull the engine, and i know i will need to drop the oil pan (fine with me)... i just don't have an engine hoist available so i want to try and do this myself before resorting to a full rebuild or engine out situation.

so please if you don't mind posting how to remove and replace the oil pump on an R32 GTR with out pulling the engine, much appreciated!

or if u have a link to a build thread where you did just that, i would also appreciate that.

yes i searched.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I can't help with the specific problem all I can say is you may well save a massive amount of time whipping the engine out. Pretty much any job I go near turns into a 'mare with the lack of space in the enginebay.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see ya thats what ive heard from a lot of people too, but im a failry patient guy and don't mind weezling around... i reckon id have to take off most of the front of the car, like the rad, and all that...

anyone else able to offer some advice?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
It is "possible" and I have done it but seriously, I dought after you've done it from start to finish you'd still think it was easier to do than just pulling the motor out.

You run the risk of oil leaks etc as its very hard to really get in and prepare gasket faces and get the sump back on without damaging the bead of sealer with steering racks and x-members in the way.

Best of luck....

Rob

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can do it, but you need to remove or slide the gearbox back as there are bolts in the sump pan that end.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
geez..

so heres a list of things to do in order to pull the oil pump with out pulling the motor...

- remove everything in the front of the car
- drop or slide back the tranny (a good time to change the clutch too i guess?
- remove the oil pan...

then what, just unbolt the oil pump?

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
geez..

so heres a list of things to do in order to pull the oil pump with out pulling the motor...

- remove everything in the front of the car
- drop or slide back the tranny (a good time to change the clutch too i guess?
- remove the oil pan...

then what, just unbolt the oil pump?
No, thats just the beginning. You'll need to remove the timing belt and front pulleys in order to get the pump off as its part of the front cover.

TT

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
you dont have to lift the engine out, you just have to drop the rest of the entire car down.:thumbsup:

good luck with that.:p

kev

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol... man, so many of you are saying just pull the motor, i looked at buying an engine hoist i found one for $400.. maybe i should just invest?

give the motor a budget rebuild or something?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts