GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could i ask for some advice on a skyline?

I have been checking out a place in keighley, west yorks and they have this skyline in.

Does it look good ? And what other stuff should i be looking for in a skyline (R32 or R33)

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near the cars at Keighley trade centre, I phoned and arranged to have a look at an MR2 they had there, the guy said he'd hold it till we got there, so we left at 5am the next morning, travelled for 5 hours, then when we were about 1/2 hour away I phoned again and said I'd be there in approx. 1/2 hour, we pulled up on the forecourt to have a look at the really good condition MR2 to see another guy counting out a deposit!

Anyway, this 'really good condition MR2' had an aftermarket front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper, air intake and ehgine cover, all brush painted, (you could see the brush lines!), the 2 wheels we could see had major flat spots on them which I would class as dangerous. All the other cars I had a quick look at as we walked back to the car were the same condition, rear spats held on with rusty countersunk screws, (that weren't countersunk!), etc.

Just my experiece though..........
Alex B

·
Registered
264 Posts
i know 3 people who have had bad experiences with this company . I personally would not go anywhere near ...
Most of there stock speaks for itself !!
But in the end the choice is yours

·
Registered
923 Posts
From experience I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. We went up to see what they had and found cars with bodykits held on by wood screws etc and the only good looking car there (white GTO) my mate ended up buying then taking back 2 weeks later after he found out it was a huge accident repair (massive damage to LH side had been fillered over and panel beaten!)

They'd already sold his part ex'd car and had to give him the money instead which took just over 6 months to arrive!

Dodgy Buggers!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. Will be having a look at the weekend but doubtful that i'll be getting one from there.

In the meantime what about this one in bradford

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
To be honest I would stop looking for "bargains" on a GTR. If you read back through some of the threads on here you can see the following trend :

New poster : Hi All I have just bought myself a GTR. It was a bargain and is great.

New poster 2 months later: Erm is it normal for <fill in the blank> to make this sort of noise?

New poster 2 months later: Does anyone know where I can get <fill in the blank> done at a decent price?

New Poster 3 months later : Nissan Skyline GTR for sale. Engine rebuilt 500 miles ago, new exhaust, gaskets, suspension. A real bargain at £<fill in the blank>

New Post 1 week later : Reduced by £1500

New Post 1 week later : Reduced by another £1000

If you are looking for a good car shop around on here. Most cars are fairly priced for the TLC that has been put into them and you can literally read all about them on this forum.

Good luck with your search. Hope you get a good one.

Matt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Must admit I agree with everyones comments on here...

I browsed the cars in Keighley several times before I bought my GTT, and the skylines they had in the showroom all had signs of accident damage, which were'nt repaired very well.
I ended up going to Vine Place near Durham for mine, and I know I paid over the odds for it but knew I was getting a decent motor.
i'd search a bit further if I were you, it's worth tripping around to find a good one.
:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to all. Will be having a look at the weekend but doubtful that i'll be getting one from there.
Unquote:

Jesus wept! Can you not read? Why bother going to look?
Vincenzo

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are seriously looking for a skyline then do not be tempted by every bargain one which has just rolled off the ship from Japan. Look around at cars that been in the UK for 1-2 years and have a few thousand miles under their belt and have seen at least one decent dealer garage. An extra thousand saved may not be if you face major work.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hopefully this might help you. Here are some common problems on a Skyline when first purchased perhaps people could add to the list and it can become a sort of buyers guide

This list is particularly accurate if you buy an old cheap one straight off the boat.

[1] Exhaust Manifold blowing - £350+ for the change + £35 for new head
studs + £60 for drilling out old snapped studs
[2] Head Gasket - £700 - £1000 depending where you go
[3] New tyres as they will be jap spec - £400 and up
[4] New filters and plugs - £90 and up
[5] Exhaust - £350 and up
[6] Brakes - £200 for pads £300 for discs allroound depending on what you go
for
[7] Swap out old dodgy boost controller - £300

Minimum Total - £3000

Add to this you'll need a full service of £300 required and most likely some turbo problems along the way at £900.

No once you have it and have paid for all the above you will, trust me, want to do some or all of the following.

[1] New Alloy wheels - £1500
[2] Downpipes and decat - £250
[3] Apexi AFC or PFC - £250 - £1000
[4] Respray or bodykit - £1000
Total - £3000 - £4000

Now I don't want to put anyone off buying a Skyline and have no vested interest in selling a skyline from this forum but most of the above will have already been done to any UK forum based skyline. It is not economical to go buy the first cheap skyline you see.

In short get a good one and you'll save a fortune in the first year.

Good luck,

Matt

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
holy thread resurrection!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'd go to see them. It is always good to see a selection of motors before you buy. Just don't buy one from there. Go and see several other places also.

Then go and buy one from on here or one of the other forums. All will be well cared for and have had loads spent on them.

I went there and walked away. Not awe inspiring. Also saw some off ebay. Awful. Bought one off PH and like all the above comments had to spend a bit to get it to where I wanted. Still, happy and got the car I wanted in good nick, with low mileage and with most of the bits I wanted.

I always reckon if you save a grand on buying price you will spend a grand getting it to where it should be. Saved £2k on my porker and spent £2k doing it up. Nuff said. Saved probably £2 to £3k on my Skyline and have to spend about £3k to get all the bits I want on it. I'd prefer it that way, cos then I get the bits I want, like a roll cage, etc.

Whatever you do, get an inspection, from a Skyline owner or RAC/AA, etc.
Worth every penny.

Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought mine over from Japan myself...after taxes,duties,reg,alarm,undersealing,some bodywork it's only marginally cheaper but more gratifying in knowledge that u know exactly what you've done! and done t urself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts