GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to change the polished cam cover, plug cover and timing belt cover on my R33 GTR. Im now looking at getting a swap for a standard un-polished set ( as it would be a shame to powder coat these as they are all shiny ).. My question is will powder coating the above replacement parts be ok with the heat generated by the RB lump. I have saw some paint theirs without problems. others say dont paint as it will flake eventually.

Im trying to get a purple colour close to that of the HKS purple--anyone done this or powder coated their covers with good results...????? What would they typical costs be for the cam covers, plug cover and timing belt cover to powder coat them?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yeah, I used Halfords Engine paint. Been on the car for 8 months and not started flaking. Its got a few scratches on it where I have been careless with the screw driver :chairshot

Used some Nitromores to get the standard black paint off....then thinners to clean it up. Then just blasted it with the Red Paint :)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anodising

Will anodising the covers hold up under the heat of the engine bay?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have my cam covers powder coated now and it's holding up no problems, i had them painted before and the paint started to lift at the edges but i'm not sure if that was down to the heat or the way the guy prep'd them before he painted them for me

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
You can have them anodised but they will look crap, as they are cast you get dark lines and it will be a bit blotchy ,just have them powder coated or painted both will be fine!
Andy

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
markyboy.1967 said:
I have decided to change the polished cam cover, plug cover and timing belt cover on my R33 GTR. Im now looking at getting a swap for a standard un-polished set ( as it would be a shame to powder coat these as they are all shiny ).. My question is will powder coating the above replacement parts be ok with the heat generated by the RB lump. I have saw some paint theirs without problems. others say dont paint as it will flake eventually.

Im trying to get a purple colour close to that of the HKS purple--anyone done this or powder coated their covers with good results...????? What would they typical costs be for the cam covers, plug cover and timing belt cover to powder coat them?

Ah, you mean like this.....

These were done in ordinary 2-pack car paint. So far so good, no flaking. As long as etching primer is used when they are prepped then there shouldn't be a problem. Mine cost £50 to do by a friend of mine. :cool:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Colour

Trying to find a colour close to that of the HKS purple either that or i will just continue the blue theme and get them powder coated the same as the other bit i have done. I thought that the purple would break the blue theme up a bit... So do i go for the same blue as my fuel rail or the HKS purple type colour or what do you suggest? Is there anyone good enough to photoshop the HKS purple and another with the blue onto my covers to let me make my mind up--im crap with things like photoshop

Pic of engine just now-

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
be carefull with the purple it may look a bit pink when finished!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts