GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Apexi power fc need separated airflowmeters?
My r32 is now at tuning shop and they said that it needs airflow meters and are going to leave the original AFM's. Funny is that my request was to go somewhere around 550bhp and I have heard that these stock AFM's run out of range at ~450bhp.
So if anyone have any experiences or facts please tell me and I can AGAIN call these "master" tuners and tell what to do to reach my goal.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The STD AFM`s will support 400(ish)PS.

You can map the std AFM`s to higher power levels but the map becomes progressively more compromised.

You need a set of Z32 MAF`s (or Nismo / Tomei / RB25) for 400 - 600PS.....

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Or, remove your existing AFM's from the housings and replace in a bigger diameter tube.

Of course your "tuning masters" will know all about re-scaling to work with any of the above mentioned AFM's

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cord

Have you actully done this with STD GTR meters? or know of anyone who has? I've seen it done on a turbo audi.

I was under the impression that the Mines were STD size, but with a thicker wire(?) to carry a higher voltage load. I have not seen any NISMO AFM's but have heard people say they are STD size - but upgraded voltage capacity and haev also heard people say they are the same size as Z32... the only Jap AFMs that I know for wuer that are Z32 size are the Tomei units.

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you don't want to change any piping (standard GTR size):
- NISMO AFMs (same diameter but rated to support more hp)

80mm AFMs:
- RB20/25 AFMs (RB20 shares the same plug as an RB26)
- Z32 AFMs
- Tomei AFMs (same as the Z32 but rebranded)
- Bosch AFMs (OEM spec of the Z32 AFMs)

//edit: Hmm I just reread your qu and I'm not sure my answer was any helpful! But good luck with it all.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
DAN00H said:
Cord

Have you actully done this with STD GTR meters? or know of anyone who has? I've seen it done on a turbo audi.

I was under the impression that the Mines were STD size, but with a thicker wire(?) to carry a higher voltage load. I have not seen any NISMO AFM's but have heard people say they are STD size - but upgraded voltage capacity and haev also heard people say they are the same size as Z32... the only Jap AFMs that I know for wuer that are Z32 size are the Tomei units.

Cheers

Dan
Yes i've done it quite a few times, standard meters into a 70 or 80 diameter aluminium tube.

Nismo's are indeed the same diameter as standard, but will monitor a higher airflow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cord said:

Of course your "tuning masters" will know all about re-scaling to work with any of the above mentioned AFM's
Or maybe they don't. They were going to go 550bhp with stock fuel and stock AFM's. Maybe they do know more of these cars than I or then that "We have built about 20 skyline engines" was bullshit.

But sure this tuning shop has one good fact. It's not the only one.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Anyone know where to get Nismo AFM's at a 'reasonable' *cough* price??

Also if someone chose to fit Z32's is it just the air filter pipes that need changing or do the the rubber hoses on the turbo side need upgrading too??

TT

·
Registered
96 Posts
NISMO AFM's

I have seen a guy on ebay selling a single brand new and boxed NISOM AFM for £210.

I emailed him and he has a pair for sale, you could maybe bring him down a bit.

NISMO AFM's are standard size with an up rated voltage and are a direct replacement for originals. (re map will be required of course)

My GTR33 "V" spec runs standard AFM's with up rated turbos (garrets from 300 ZX) and the volatage is maxed out (5.10-5.20 ish Volts) at about 1.2 bar boost pressure, with my other mods the car kicks out about 480 at the fly wheel.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just bought a set of new Nismo AFM's from perfectrun.com.au for quite a bit less than £210. Arrived about 5 days after placing the order, too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
jza80 said:
I just bought a set of new Nismo AFM's from perfectrun.com.au for quite a bit less than £210. Arrived about 5 days after placing the order, too.
That's a good deal considering a pair of Nismo AFMs, on perfectrun without shipping is currently listed at £290...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I guess I should have clarified...I was comparing the per unit cost for the afms. Not for the set. You are correct a set is about 290- but that is less than the ebay cost which was my point. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
jza80 said:
I guess I should have clarified...I was comparing the per unit cost for the afms. Not for the set. You are correct a set is about 290- but that is less than the ebay cost which was my point. Sorry for the confusion.
Ahh that makes sense. I thought maybe they were on sale or something. All good!:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was thinking of getting a power fc, its stage 1, plus the new Nismo turbos just fitted 600cc injectors etc looking at getting 500 bhp, so i wld need to change the AFMs to get that or not

stu

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
winegtr said:
I was thinking of getting a power fc, its stage 1, plus the new Nismo turbos just fitted 600cc injectors etc looking at getting 500 bhp, so i wld need to change the AFMs to get that or not

stu
I'd say that it's more reliable and don't need any trick if you chance AFM's.

I'm going to dyno some day with 730cc injectors, power fc, two upgrated fuel pumps, t517z turbos, Avance Meitou Special Intake pipe, z32 AFM's, HKS cat-back, custom downpipes and propably de-cat pipe. Target was something around 550bhp. I can post my dyno results here if some can find them helpfull in someway.
Unfortunately, I don't have so much inspiration to go into dyno firts with stock AFM's and see how far they will go.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
tarmac terror said:
Anyone know where to get Nismo AFM's at a 'reasonable' *cough* price??

Also if someone chose to fit Z32's is it just the air filter pipes that need changing or do the the rubber hoses on the turbo side need upgrading too??

TT
I think I have a pair of Mines AFM's at home, they are similar voltage output to the NIsmo AFM's and are good for 550 BHP.

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Will the Mines AFM work in conjunction with Arc Airbox?

PeeeeeEm sent ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hugh Keir said:
I think I have a pair of Mines AFM's at home, they are similar voltage output to the NIsmo AFM's and are good for 550 BHP.
Do you propably want to sell them? I didn't get z32's so now I have to find new AFM's.

I'm going to dyno now first with stock ones. Now I can get results how far they will measure, some say 500bhp but I thing it's ~450bhp that my car have when I get back from dyno.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts