GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought an R32 GTR last month and i'd like to tune it lightly (around 400-450bhp would be good for me).
So i'd like to know if i would need a Power FC instead of the stock ECU, and if yes, do i really need the hand controller to work with it or not.

Thank you, Franklin.

·
Registered
423 Posts
its not needed but i find it handy for monitoring knock and i used it to check when my oxygen sensors were shagged, i stay well away from the settings screen in case i go fooling around and change something important

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
I come back to my first question to know if i really need one for light tuning.
Mods i could do:
Full exhaust (already done)
Apexi induction kit
higher boost pressure (eventually N1 turbos later)
Injectors and cam pulleys

How does the PFC works without hand controller?

Thanks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
For the mods you list you will need re-mapping for which
the power fc would be ideal to get the most from your
proposed mods. Particularly when you mention injector
change. You will need a mapping session to get your
fuelling correct. If you just fit bigger injectors you run
a high risk of trashing your engine !
& no you don,t need the commander you may want one
for monitoring purposes but not essential.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I come back to my first question to know if i really need one for light tuning.
Mods i could do:
Full exhaust (already done)
Apexi induction kit
higher boost pressure (eventually N1 turbos later)
Injectors and cam pulleys

How does the PFC works without hand controller?

Thanks.
the PFC works normally without the hand controller, the hand controller is used to display readings and also edit your tune however 99% of tuners will not use the hand controller to tune the PFC as it would take way to long!

Early model PFC didn't come with the hand controller you had to buy it separately

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
How much bhp can the stock ECU handle?
My understanding is what ever you want - providing your engine setup can support it. IE larger injectors, fuel pump, hard pipe kit, (maybe) larger intercooler, Exhaust system, induction system etc to potentially met your 400hp-450hp mark.

The ECU is an EPROM ECU (Erasable programmable ECU) allows you 1 static map as I understand it. This map is then tuned by a tuner who will find (hopefully) the best MAP to fit your Engines setup and that map is programmed onto the factory ECU. - Although I'm no expert just what I read and know speaking to a few people.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
as richard said i would get the standard ecu remapped on an r32 i did on my last one running 500bhp.

if it was me personally i wouldnt use a PFC without the commander as i like to keep an eye on whats going on, although its definetly not needed

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems i don't really need a PFC if i find a good tuner, and if i don't change regularly my setup.
It's nice to see many people giving their advice to a new skyline owner like me.
That's very helpful to know which direction i can take to tune the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts