GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've had an issue with my power steering for a while now, and still can't figure out the problem. I have got no lights on the dash, the reservoir is full, no leaks on the system and I've also had the pump flow tested and it came back at 70psi on both inlet and outlet I think.

So when I start the car, the steering is light (the way it should feel) and maybe after a mile of driving or so, it goes really heavy like it has no power steering and a belt will tend to slip briefly (they're all tight). It still doesn't throw any lights on the dash. and it will stay like that the entire drive until either, I turn the car off and back on (the problem just repeats itself) or I go round long left hand bends, when doing this it'll go light and slightly notchy, (scary when on a spirited drive) and then once I've straightened back out it'll go back to being heavy.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The only thing left that hasn't been checked is the rack which I don't really want to pull out if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be the Speedo. The hicas ecu relies on the speed signal sent from the speedo head. You could rule this out by unplugging the solenoid mounted on the driver's side end of the steering rack. This will give you fixed steering assist that is drivable without hicas changing the assist level.
So if I unplug the solenoid, and it fixes the issue, its the solenoid, and if it carries on its the speedo? Its got a mph face on the speedo, could this cause issues with it also? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The solenoid isn't likely to be the issue. The issue will be a sensor that hicas is relying on, often the steering angle sensor or the speed sensor. Unplugging the solenoid just takes away the hicas ability to change the power assistance. If the issue remains after unplugging it then you have a mechanical/hydraulic problem. If the issue goes away it is in the hicas electronic system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The solenoid isn't likely to be the issue. The issue will be a sensor that hicas is relying on, often the steering angle sensor or the speed sensor. Unplugging the solenoid just takes away the hicas ability to change the power assistance. If the issue remains after unplugging it then you have a mechanical/hydraulic problem. If the issue goes away it is in the hicas electronic system.
Okay thanks for your help, I'll have a look into it. Is there a way to just get rid of all the hicas system completely? Would it just be a case of ripping all the hicas ecu and plumbing out or is it a bit more involved?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
To remove the 4ws stuff properly;. fit a good hicas lockout kit, remove the hicas rack and all the plumbing, fit a r33 pas pump or remove the vanes from the r32 pump and block the ports.

The speed sensitive pas is separate from the 4ws but controlled by the same ecu. If you want to remove that ecu then there are a few options. I have a solid-state relay being driven by my link ecu and this controls the solenoid on the front steering rack, that way i can set the speed sensitive pas how i like it and have totally removed the hicas ecu. That's more trouble than most will go to though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts