GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only noticed this today because i'm not in the habit of 'booting' it.

When my foots "to the floor", the car'll suddenly loose power quite violently.. quite frightening when it does it. It doesn't cut out or anything, and if i let off and keep the power on with my foot off the floor a bit, it'll pick up fine although without the full 'pokey power'..

any ideas anyone? I can only liken it to when my Rover 620Ti overboosted and the ECU cut the fuel supply as a safety thing... but i don't think the Skyline has the same feature?

cheers
bazza

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Could be coil packs, sounds like what my 200sx was doing before I swapped the bad one out :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dood - sounds like something that happened to mine. One of the plastic pipes that control the pressure for the turbo had come adrift, the ECU was shutting off the power as it was sensing overboost.

Check all the pipes that feed into the big metal box thats above the turbo (not a very technical description :D) on the nearside wing top. Look for loose pipes or split that would allow pressure drop.

Don't keep booting it in the meantime :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh dear, things have gotten worse

When I went out today all was fine until it warmed up. when the car drops to idle (at a junction), the idle speed is dipping too low and the engine cuts out. Doesnt do it everytime but too much to risk not keeping some revs on approaching a junction.

I'm getting worried now, because since i bought the car it's occasionally 'hunted the revs between 800 & 1500 rpm's but i've just touched the acc' and it's stabilised again.

I'm worried that after 4 months of owning i'm going to be hit with a big bill :((

cheers
bazza

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers guys,
So how do i determine which it is without buying all the parts and ending up with spares? Guess Rod bell's the next stop?

Speaking of parts, where does everyone get theres from? Surely AFM's, fuel pumps and items like that are not available 'off the shelf' so where do you go? Also, do you replace with 'original' items or 'uprated' items?

cheers
bazza

·
Registered
390 Posts
Could also be that the idle control valve needs a clean. Your first question sure does sound like boost/fuel cut though.,, check your hoses for leaks/splits etc

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Sounds to me like an air leak.

Maybe a hose has come loose or burst under boost. Have a good look around the intercoler plumbing for anything not quite attached properly.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Now you say it cuts out at idle it is the exact same proplem I had with mine..And the fault was AFMs.You could easily give them a clean by removing them and spraying brake cleaner inside(make sure it is dry before putting them back).It could be one of them is knackered and needs replacing,I have 2 sitting in my garage that I tried to get shot of ages ago,the only problem is I dont know which is the faulty one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys, so my next question is: how do i find all these things to be able to check 'em?

Idle control valve is where?
I know where afm is- its a r33 gtst so it only has one.. is it safe to spray cleaner on it?

colonol - it doesnt always seem to cut out. it hunted slightly coming home from work tonight, but didnt cut out. Yet yesterday it was always wanting to do it.. totally confused i am. Can i have one of your afm's please ;)

sorry about all the q's, i looked briefly under the bonnet this morning but i'm lost without a haynes :(

cheers bazza

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
parts are easy to come by

depends how urgent you want them

here is a couple of sites people use a lot

nengun.com
greenline.jp
rhdjapan.com

and lots of UK dealers that support the register, check the trade section

unless you are a well honed engineer give the car to an expert

you are in a good area for several tuners

i will be travelling to Abbey for my tuning(appx 600miles roundtrip) ;)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
dood1 said:
When I went out today all was fine until it warmed up. when the car drops to idle (at a junction), the idle speed is dipping too low and the engine cuts out. Doesnt do it everytime but too much to risk not keeping some revs on approaching a junction.

I'm getting worried now, because since i bought the car it's occasionally 'hunted the revs between 800 & 1500 rpm's but i've just touched the acc' and it's stabilised again.

I'm worried that after 4 months of owning i'm going to be hit with a big bill :((

cheers
bazza
Welcome to my world Bazza lol! My car has been hunting on idle for months off and on now and I have changed AFMs, idle control valve, cleaned O2 sensors and checked for leaks and still no joy. I have come to the conclusion it must be a leaking hose somewhere and I'm aiming to replace all hoses with funky ones soon. The coil packs and ign amp will be next but it's all a lot of cash.

Try this...

go out for a drive but don't let the car go over 2200 rpm so it stay off boost. On my car the idle hunting will not happen but the minute I use boost for about 2 or 3 miles and come to traffic lights the idle hunting starts. If I then drive the next few mile off boost it will not happen :confused: . I reckon a hose is being pushed apart under boost and staying like that for a while until it is allowed to settle again.

·
Registered
498 Posts
dood1 said:
colonol - it doesnt always seem to cut out. it hunted slightly coming home from work tonight, but didnt cut out. Yet yesterday it was always wanting to do it.. totally confused i am. Can i have one of your afm's please ;)

sorry about all the q's, i looked briefly under the bonnet this morning but i'm lost without a haynes :(

cheers bazza
Mine was the same,I could drive for miles without a hint of the problem then all of a sudden it would start.As for my Afms I do not know which one is faulty there could even be a chance that both are..Do you know anyone near you who could lend you a pair just to see if it is them??If you dont them I guess I could let you have both and you can play about with them,the only trouble with that is that it may not be the problem after all..Have you cleaned the AFMs yet??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts