GTR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

A couple of mates bought me a NOS branded nitrous kit for my birthday (lucky me! :D).

It looks pretty simple to install, I suppose the 'hardest' part being the drilling and tapping into the intake plenum for the fogger - probably need to take the plenum off so bits and pieces don't fall in.

What I can't get my head around, and I've done a fair bit of searching and reading around on the net for this but still can't find an answer, is how is the tuning done?

1. From my research it looks as though the timing needs to be retarded during the period for which the nitrous is being injected.
2. How does the PowerFC (or any ECU for that matter) know when the nitrous is being injected into the mixture? For example:

a) 1 run at the drags I run with nitrous, the ECU somehow injects it during a certain range of revs and retards the timing at the same time.

b) Next run, I turn the NOS off. Presumably during that same rev range the timing will be retarded which I guess is a loss in power? So 99% of the time (i.e. when I'm not using NOS) I will have less power through that rev range? So does that mean I need multiple maps?

3. Do I need a NOS controller so I can program the rev range for which I want the NOS injected? I'm only looking for more mid-range torque/power, not top end power.

4. Are there ECU's available (Vipec perhaps?) that have inbuilt nitrous control to avoid having to get a separate NOS controller?

Thanks for any advice! I'm totally new to NOS and really don't understand the tuning side of things.

High level mods are: GT35R, HKS 272 cams, stock bottom end, running on E85 full time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might want to rephrase your questions to ones involving engine bay pics

I would imagine your best bet is to change from the D-Jetro to something with more functionality, Vipec/Link or Haltech, and sell the PFC off. Retarding the timing would just cause off-nos power losses, doubtful it'd be worth doing if you're running small flare jets

1 - 2 of 2 Posts