GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have notice some Skylines with dead pretty piping under the hood. But I have a sneaking suspicion that like all things Skyline, it's tastefully expensive. Am I right? Who from, what colours etc. Thanx.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Depends exactly what you're on about.

The colored silicone pipes (often in blue) are flexible pipes, and offer no performance improvement whatsoever. they do look nice though. They are made by samco, and you need to spend about £500 to get all the pipes they do for skylines (heater, coolant and turbo pipes iirc).

some people on here have a "hard pipe kit". this replaces the flexible rubber hoses in the intake system, between the filters and the turbos. Again, the main reason for them is they look nice. they also can handle more pressure. arguably they could improve throttle response, but thats somewhat more dubious.

Jon

PS Hard pipe kit = proper ca$h

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
slippyr4... I think a "hard pipe kit" normally refers to the piping between the turbo compressor exit, the intercooler, and the intake plenum. This piping definitely makes an improvement to throttle response above factory boost levels. You're right, however, about the other hard piping between the air filters and the compressor intake (whatever that's called)... more cosmetic than performance.

Cya O!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts