GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i plan to replace my r32gtr engine/tranny with a r34gtr engine/6speed tranny/rear diff because my engine is dead.i will do some preventive mod like a rips oil pan,n1waterpump,timing belt stuff,aftermarket damper pulley, new gasket all around, oil cooler, may be acl bearing and arp rod bolt. the engine will run stock r34 turbo at max 1 bar and max 8,000-8,500 rpm depend on what follow.

1st question: i have a brand new tomei oil pump at home because my last idea was to rebuilt my engine but i will do the body instead....anyway,should i keep my tomei pump for my next rebuild when it will a fully forged rebuilt?

1.2 question: if not(mean that i put the tomei pump on), i will put an head oil drain on and tomei oil restrictor. but does i will need to put oil restrictor before turbo? if yes wich size?

2nd question: i want to put an upgraded damper pulley. i know ati make a street 500hp damper pulley and it's the one that is the closest to my hp level
but i want 800hp in a couple of year and than i will have to change it again..
Instead, should i put a race damper now?(1000hp ati or 1500hp ross)
What will be your choice between a street or race damper?

all info are welcome!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Use the Tomei pump only if you get the extended sump. Put it on now, not on your next build. If you get a RIPS sump im sure Rob will be able to tell you what oil restrictors to use.

Get the 1000hp ati damper. Save changing later.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok but if i put my tomei pump on and my engine blow it will **** my 2700$ can. dollar pump... that why im not sure... :(

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for sure i will buy one but is it ok to run a race damper on a street setup??
i mean it's not ''tuned'' for this hp level...?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I would buy the 500hp street damper as there's a reason ATI developed two different version for the RB26. Bigger is not always better. The damper should suit your setup and your needs.

Bearing in mind that a crank damper is a wearing part you should change them every two to four years anyway, as the damping elemts are made of rubber which lose its flexibility over the years.

The good thing with the ATI damper is that it's bolted on a hub, so this hub remains on your crank and you only need to change the damping part (so you don't need to buy a complete set everytime). You can also return the damper to ATI and they'll refurb it and change the elastic parts.

HTH

Leo

·
Registered
103 Posts
well it depends if your actually gonna go for the bigger power then 1000hp ati is good its obviously more expensive but if your sticking with under 500hp then go for that oh and by the way my car is fully street driver i can use it everyday if i like for normal driving hence i went for the 2+k clutch by os giken and i rarely have time to take it to a circuit due to work and family commitments

·
Registered
771 Posts
if u speak to rob @ rips as i did when i built my engine, i also used his sump kit & bought the ross damper which he also likes to use.

with ross you have 1 option & not options like ati & it will handle from what i remember up to 1500hp

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok marko i agree with you the ross damper is the one i want to buy if i will go for a race damper because he doesn't need any service they tell...but how many hp you have??

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
other opinion on the tomei pump pump question?? if my engine will blow with this pump does the pump would be ok if i shut off the engine immidiatly?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is it worth to put a metal headgasket arp headstud and main cap bolt if i stay with the stock piston and rod (so i will not run more than 450bhp approx.)

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Not 100% essential imho. If it's apart you may as well though.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
IMO stock gasket, stock bolts (mains and head) are fine for at least 600-700hp.

If/when you go to a forged 30 those parts can be installed if you like.

As far as the oil pump goes, the stock R34 oil pumps are fine for 450-500hp/8000rpm, I'd save the Tomei pump for the forged build.

Rob

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for your answer!

what about the acl race main and rod bearing and arp rod bolt? is it worth on a 450bhp max and 8,000 rpm max setup? the engine i will buy should be less than 50,000km..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts