GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Hi Steve, probably be best to remove all the plugs and crank it over using the starter. Much easier on the knuckles LOL. Also I would pour some fresh oil into the turbo's oil gallery's and gently turn the shafts by hand a couple of times to get some oil into them prior to fitting.
Hope this helps.

TT

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
a friend of mine had rebuilt his renault 5 turbo and put a nice turbo on it. When he restarted it, he didnt prime the turbo, not crank the engine he just turned the key. the thing made a magificent screech on start up and I think he scored the turbo bearings or something as it was smoking like a bastid after a while.

After that, I think when he refitted it, he filled the turbo with oil as suggested above and then crank on the starter so you build pressure.

On the rb you should be ok to just remove the plug from the cas sensor rather than go to the bother of removing all the plugs and coil packs.

If you can get access to the turbo oil return then you can crank until oil appears from there and then you know you have oil around the entire circut. not sure how practical this is though.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Agreed, remove the plugs so the pump builds pressure up quicker.
Easy way to shorten the starter motors life if you leave em in.

Rob

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
yep! just crank the engine over until the oil presure comes up ,job done!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Steve,

I think the easiest way to prime the turbo is first pull out the fuse for the fuel pump (15amp), open the top rocker cover, and unplug the coil pack's plugs/connects (not the spark plugs itselves), which is much easier.

Then crank the car with the key (starter motor),so make sure the battery is fully charged, cos it will drain lots of current, until the oil pressure light comes off, then everything should be primed.

Good Luck

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
1) remove crank sensor plug
2) Crank up engine a few turns at a time till oil comes out
3) Plug the tubbies
4) enjoy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts