GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what section to post in, so as a plate is exterior, bodywork, though id do it here :)

Anyway, never been interested in private plates, but seeing as 90% of GT-R's have them i thought ah why not give it a shot. Ive googled private plates and brings up tons of websites, is there a particular one people prefer or use, or are they all much of the same?

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I bought mine from Personalised, Private And Cherished Car Number Plates, UK – as it was the cheapest for my plate. Most the online sellers are individuals who have bought plates at DVLA auctions, stick a premium on top then resell them. If you can get to a DVLA auction that's your best bet for a cheap as possible plate. But if a reseller has the plate then you either pay the price or keep checking every 6 months if they still have the plate and offer a bit less.

A lot of them don't mind holding on to the plates they have though as they know someone will always come along in the end. There's a plate I was after that was at an auction, it went for £4000 and is now up for sale at over £7.5k, gutted I missed out on it!

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Oh, and remember 99% of the sellers don't include VAT so that's another 20% on top of the price you see.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Tom, will take a Ganders at the link provided.

I wanted AV 1 but apparently a chap called Doug Ellis has this plate, ex chairman of Aston Villa. Damn haha

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I've bought from newreg, regtransfers and nationalnumbers.

All are OK, but when you find something you like check all the sites to compare prices.

They all have various prices for various plates and the same one is not always the cheapest.

As said, DVLA auctions are the best if you want something they have.
Get in there first before the dealers. :)

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
You will find,

That the majority of reg places dont own the plates they are selling. They either have them on their books for the people that actually own them, or most often they are actually DVLA registrations linked via their website and with a cheaper looking price but then with premiums added.

For example !!!.....

Current registrations search. Searches current style registrations

Reg Plates - registration number plates - search results

Looks cheaper right.................wrong........click buy now and find they add vat and other costs that are already included in the DVLA price.....

Personalised Number Plate Order BU57 EDD

So I just try a reg here...

DVLA Personalised Registrations - Buy private number plates direct from the DVLA. From £250 fully inclusive

You sure you aint got a plate already ??

This is available for your new toy.....

View Your Number Plate on a Car from DVLA Registrations

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will find,

That the majority of reg places dont own the plates they are selling. They either have them on their books for the people that actually own them, or most often they are actually DVLA registrations linked via their website and with a cheaper looking price but then with premiums added.

For example !!!.....

Reg Plates - registration number plates - search results

Looks cheaper right.................wrong........click buy now and find they add vat and other costs that are already included in the DVLA price.....

Personalised Number Plate Order BU57 EDD

So I just try a reg here...

DVLA Personalised Registrations - Buy private number plates direct from the DVLA. From £250 fully inclusive

You sure you aint got a plate already ??

This is available for your new toy.....

View Your Number Plate on a Car from DVLA Registrations

:D :D :D
You bugger you ;) haha

thanks for the info, your right, hidden charges are whats making some plates look appealing!

Good info, will take onboard and have a mooch on the sites.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I met the guy who has RB 1 on his (fully stickers up) RR Phantom on route to Le Mans 2011. He said he would take £100k if I wanted it that badly.

I didn't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts