GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Spark plugs:
HKS super fire racing IRIJIUM S40 & NGK IRIDIUM 7 (NGK came with the car).

Problem:
I first tryed to run the spark plugs with the "original" space in the ignition area. it was then 0.7mm.
The engine did not run with this setup.
So i tryed 0.6 & 0.5 and there was no response this time either.

So i gave up trying the 3:rd time, and i insereted the NGK IRIDIUM 7 with 0.8 (these spark plugs, and setup worked before i tryed the HKS ones.), and the engine did not answer to these either. Now i have 12 spark plugs that wont work.

Things i have tryed to fix this problem:
1. Checked the electronics to the spark plugs, and it is electricity to all of the plugs, so there is no problem with that part..
2.Checked all sparkplugs if they ignite, and they do.
3. Cleaned all the spark plugs with compressed air, so there is no fuel in them.
4. Removed all sparkplugs, electronics etc etc. I took a new clean rag, and put them over the "spark plug holes". Removed the fuse to the Fuel Pump, and ran the the engine for 10 sec, i did this to clean out the "overflow" of fuel in the cylinders.
5. Removed battery for 5 minutes to set the ecu to zero.
6. I even pray to god, but it didint help :bawling:

My question:
Whats wrong ? Wy doesnt the engine start ?
Thanx for your time.
Best regards //Varro

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not 100% sure.
But i can hear the fuel pump building up "pressure".
I can also se that the spark plugs do have some fuel on them when i remove them from the engine. So i dont think its the fuel, but im not sure. But when i removed the fuse, the fuel pump stop building pressure. So i THINK there should be enough fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What ECU, injectors and FPR are in the car?

I take it that it was runing fine until you changed the plugs?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
take out the plugs put one in a coil pack turn it over and check you got a strong spark.

* note * pull the fuse for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is original, exept of HKS SUPERDRAGGER system and HKS DP. Everything else is standard.

Whats a coil pack (sry my english is not so god) ??
I have tested "some" of the plugs, and they work, maby i should check em all ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aha, i got the coil pack part. I'll check it today, do the spark need to be strong ? ore does a little spark do the work ?

thanx

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tryed to unplug the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow ?), but it didint run.
I have checked all the spark plugs, and they do ignite, BUT the spark is verry week, and it is verry uneven. it jups over some times, when it should ignite.

Im getting mad now :(
Cant find whats wrong

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
So the only thing you have done is replace/regap the plugs and no it will not start? it must be something simple, for it not to fire on a few cylinders it would point more to the ignition amplifier which feeds the coils, have you re-connected the plug fully?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If you have fuel, and you have spark , then it should fire.

The only thing you did was change plugs and now it won't fire ?

Are all the grounds good? Do you have good voltage supplying the coils?

When we had fuel , and spark , and it wouldnt fire, it was a bad MAF. Unplugging the MAF put the car in backup fueling and it ran.

Will it fire if you take carb cleaner , spray it down into the combustion chamber and put the plug back in. Not a ton of cleaner , just a couple of second spray. Put cleaner in a few holes, and see if you get it to catch a little.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahapartridge: What i know of there is only amplifyer in the earlyer models, the R34 has integrated those in the coils (i think its the coils, sry my english isint so good :)). If this is what you where trying to tell me, whell they are connected correctly.

tyndago: Yes, 12,5volt to all 6 coils.
I only know of 1 ground that concerns this problem, and its the one on the "spark plug cover". And whell, that one is ok, that i know of. Dont know how to test if it works, any idea ?

Thanx alot.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyways, what sould the mesurment be on HKS Super Fire Racing sparkplugs ? I have tryed everything from 0,7-0,4. What shoudl i have, its important.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
R34.... immoblizer.

And by the way - the HKS plugs are Denso plugs. I have had too many Denso plugs fail on me. I won't put them in a car I dont like. They break around the center electrode.

I only use NGK plugs in GT-R's.

Gap, if they are iridium, you dont gap them. Stock gap with stock plugs is 1.1mm . Tight if you run big boost. 0.4 is probably too tight for a stockish car. 0.7 is where they are gapped factory.

Make sure you have 12 volts at the injectors. I have had a main power relay fail. Its a 6 pin relay. Part of it provides power to cam angle sensor, ignitors. Part of it goes to the ECU.

Its a brown relay, behind/above the ECU- passenger side kickpanel.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about the immobilizer ?

Whell anyways, ill keep these untill i get it running and then change it. Dont think they are the problem.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Are the plugs the same length as the old ones ? (from the sealing ring to plug top) are the coils physically touching the plug tops ? are all those little springs that go from the coil to the plugs in good order ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whell, honestly, i havent checked that part.
I thaught all spark plugs where the same lenght.
Anyways the olde ones was working before, and im almost sertain that they are the same lenght.

But i will check that too, thanx.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts