GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Last night I removed my airbox and replaced it with a K&N filter. I removed the whole box so that all that was visible on the turbo intake was the MAF sensor in its black box. I then used the bottom of the airbox (four bolts with a round pipe) to attach the filter to and then bolted it on. Job jobbed.

But....when I took her for a spin the intake noise was really loud (don't mind that too much) but on gear changes or letting of throttle there is a very loud whooshing noise. Sounds like a dump valve but much louder. At first I thought that for some reason it had made my standard re-circ really loud but now I'm inclined to think that the air is coming out of the air filter. Why is this?

I asked a mate and he said that it probably has been doing this the whole time but I was unable to hear it because I had a big fappin airbox hiding the noise.

1) Is this true?
2) How can I fix it?
3) Does it mean my Dump valve isn't working?
4) Should I change my re-circ to a atmos?
5) And finally....does anyone have a HKS SQV for sale?

Thanks fellas. Sorry for so many questions

James

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is for out 5 a pass?

James,

1) Your friend is correct.
2) Put the old air box back and use a K&N filter panel instead.
3) No
4) No
5) I don’t know

Paul.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
James,

My GTS25T does this too, It's normal for the noise of the dump valve to increase when you remove the airbox, if you have a look at the position of the dump valve, you'll find it is only about 12' away from the end of the air inlet track. Previously the noise from the dumped air had to travel to the end of the air box inlet down in the inner wing.

It sounds even louder to your passengers, and it's fun pretending you don't hear anything.

However, Paul's comments are bang on.

If you replace with an SQV, make sure it is plumbed to re-circ the air.

Jason

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi James,

The wooshing sound is nothing to be concerned with as its normal to hear once the airbox is removed.
I wouldn't refit the original airbox though as it is quite restrictive, once I removed mine and replaced it with an induction kit the car felt more responsive.
I wouldn't recommend dumping to atmos as it really messes up the air metering system and may cause stalling and other probs.
I'm running the standard recirc valves with no probs and the car holds boost between the gears fine.

Regards,
Mike.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shiney pipes

Thanks for the replies fellas.

One think I'd like to know is about replacing a MAF with a MAP sensor. What's the difference? I'm getting some pipes made up for my intercooler and thought I may as well get a pipe from the turbo to air filter made up. Where would I put my MAF? Does it have to stay in the black plastic holder or can I put it into the pipework?

James

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm not a major expert on this but i believe that the MAP type would maintain the mixture/timing simply from measuring the pressure in the inlet manifold whereas the MAF type would use both the air pressure and the actual air flow rate.
If you want to use only MAP then i think you will need either a new ecu or somekind of piggyback unit.
I don't think you can dismantly the airflow unit to put in into the pipes.

Mike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts