GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...jus wondering if any bros here recommend anywhere to source a new startermotor for gtr34? ive got some problems when i start the car which are making funny noises...how much will the labour cost? any idea? =)

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Abbey Motorsport will be able to get one, they might even have one. Labour shouldn't be much, It's not a long job.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had some odd "skwarking"" noises coming from mine on start up. Took it off (which is fun) cleaned all the clutch dust off the helix then wd40 the lot replaced ...no more noise. Could be worth trying if its just noisy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Spoons said:
I had some odd "skwarking"" noises coming from mine on start up. Took it off (which is fun) cleaned all the clutch dust off the helix then wd40 the lot replaced ...no more noise. Could be worth trying if its just noisy.

spot on......... dont replace it... pull it off.. pull the drive forward and grease the helix and oil the shaft... pull solidnoid plunger out and put a little bit of grease on it... put it back together.... GOOD AS GOLD!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
When that squarking sound happens, I just pull out the key, say a little prayer, firmly reinsert the key, then with all my attention focused on the starter, twist firmly. Works like a charm every time :p

Seriously...I just push the key in a little further and it starts...if my mind isn't 100% focused on starting the car, off goes that odd sound again and no start. The oddest thing really.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if the starter is too pricey at Abbey or Nissan dealers, try going to a Subaru dealer.

the starter for RB engines is the same Hitachi unit made for almost all Longitudinal Subaru drivetrains (EJ20, EJ25, and even the 6cyl boxers).

i paid $60 (canadian) for one at the local suby dealer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts