GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need some advice with a problem my car now has after a remap. The issue I am having is the car is running rich/overfuelling to a large extent, luckily I had taken it for an MOT shortly after the remap and it failed big time on emissions. Readings were ...
%vol 11.6 (needs to be below 0.2!)
Ppm vol 268 (needs to be below 200)

The car is drinking fuel (range says 150 miles from a full tank) the car is now stage 2 after the remap and shouldn***8217;t be failing an MOT on emissions at all. The MOT centres testing is accurate , it***8217;s not a problem with their equipment. I am really concerned about driving the car , I have a 90 mile drive back to the tuner on Monday and all I need is some advice if I***8217;m going to do any damage driving the car like it is? I drove back from the MOT centre yesterday and no warning lights came on , all temps looked but I didn***8217;t take it over 2500rpm. I***8217;m happy the tuner will sort this out for me on Monday , but I don***8217;t want to damage my engine - any advice appreciated!

Pete

·
Vendor
490 Posts
The GTR is very target based so even if the map was off it should compensate to a fairly large amount. Possible wrong map loaded (mapped for intakes) or possible lambda sensor fault dropping the car into limp mode. If you can read the OBD by any method, see what the fuel trims are which will guide you a lot more.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
I get 220-250 miles out of a full tank on stage 2 with out and about driving. 350 or so on a motorway run if I take it steady (80ish)

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Do you have a cable to scan for errors? Assuming you've put good fuel vpower/99momentum etc

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies, I am taking the car back to be sorted out of course , my only concern and reason for the post is driving nearly 100 miles in its current state- is it possible I***8217;m going to damage anything?! I might be over thinking it but it concerns does concern me...

·
Vendor
1,823 Posts
If you***8217;ve got concerns get it recovered to who ever mapped it and give them the bill.

Engines are not cheap.

·
R35 Section manager
10,836 Posts
It is my understanding that an over fuelling car is better than a under fuelling one?

If you are unsure get it collected by them as it sounds like its their mistake

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
It is my understanding that an over fuelling car is better than a under fuelling one?
That's correct. If you run lean it will get very hot and could do all sorts of damage. When I had my Noble mapped (after changed the exhaust), it was standard practice to install an up-rated fuel pump for that very reason.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
00)

The car is drinking fuel (range says 150 miles from a full tank) the car is now stage 2 after the remap and shouldn’t be failing an MOT on emissions at all.
I had a version of RaceRom 4 installed that had a bug whereby it would calculate the range incorrectly. I'd fill up and it would say 200-225 miles or so. So I used to take little notice and just look at the petrol gauge. I've now got RaceRom 5 and when I fill it up it says about 350-375 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Both can be fatal for your engine, Severe over fueling can lead to bore-wash which can also stop you dead in your tracks. This means so much fuel passes the piston rings that it totally knackers your engines compression, Whilst also breaking down the engine oil as neat petrol gathers in your engines sump.

Lack of appropriate lubrication then damages cam journals and crankshaft bearings, etc, etc with no compression also leaving the engines cylinders with nothing to ignite. Not good....

HTH!:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts