GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently, a bunch of folks went on the first Midnight Run trip across the continent. This was a good opportunity to see what my car was capable of but unfortunately, I was plagued with a consistent problem.

When reaching anything between 130 - 150MPH, I was getting some form of sudden cut out where my power would die, like the car hit a brick wall. The engine would remain running, and if I either changed gear (5th/6th) or slipped into neutral, then throttle response would return. Otherwise, I'd have to wait for 10 seconds before it would return.

Now there are a few immediate suggestions.
1) The speed limiter is in effect. But this would happen in various speeds so that's ruled out
2) Boost cut. I tried switching off the boost controller, then also trying with it on all settings, still no joy.
3) Fuel problems. Beats me.

Car is a de-restricted R34 with a Mines ECU + HKS EVC boost controller.

Any ideas would be really appreciated, I am going to go abroad again soon, would hate to miss out on the autobahns. Thanks in advance,

Cem

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Only thing I can think of is it either being a fuel starvation problem (what injectors/pump & power are you running?) or that some kind of ECU-imposed fuel cut is coming into play? Possibly knock?

I could be completely wrong tho, but you did ask for some ideas. :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a simular problem with my R33 in 4th under full load it would suddenly cut out/die for a few seconds. MH remapped/chipped the ecu and fiddle around with the AFC (sorry about being so tech) and it,s never happen again, in 10 thousand miles.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Could be your plugs. I had this on my R33 once. Usually only happened under hard acceleration.
New set of plugs from Abbey fixed it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Question for Pegleg

All 6 plugs failed at the same time or just 1 or 2 failed to spark under load? and so caused a misfire and a "lumpy" engine

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey,

Thanks a lot for the ideas. Some valid points there. I have had fuel pump mentioned to me. It may be the case, there's a lot of fuel being pumped at those speeds, but still, not sure. I know that the injectors were running at no more than 88%. They are all standard parts.

I did actually want to upgrade my sparks. Don't know if it's a cause though.

Matt,
It was just a recce event, but still incredible fun :)

Cem

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Cem, with the mods you are running a set of colder iridium plugs should be a very good idea. Standard procedure here in Japan...
:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had all the plugs replaced they did have 10K on them as standard plugs.
Trust Iridiums were fitted.

G

·
I've had similar problems, seems your fuel pump is running system dry, and when it drops below a certain psi, car slows itself down, look at pump, fuel filter(this ones' gotten me a few times) and see if your fuel pressure regulator is on the frits'.
H.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts