GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the used(first mistake) 2530's I fitted lasted about a week and the rear one started smoking and I'm sure the seals are going. I pulled them out tonight and was thinking should I bother spending $2k for a HKS rebuild? I can get a new set of GT-ss for the same amount and T517z's for only a few hundred more, so to my question...

1. How much better are the 2530's really compared to SS's?
2. What is a good sustained boost for the SS's? 2530's are ~1.5max right?
3. How much laggier are the t517z's (10cm) compared to 2530's? I was really looking for some 8cm's but it seems the supplier can only get 10's for some reason for the price.

Good news is it only took me 3 hours to get the turbo's off this time compared to 2 days the first time:) thanks for the tips on my other thread guys:bowdown1:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
depends on what internals you're running and if you've increased displacement, but for my money, 200,000yen would be better spent on GT-SS. You max out at 550 horsepower, but on the road, that's a lot of power!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Displacement and internals are standard and I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon. What is the boost threshold for gt-ss's?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mate down her in lil old NZ you could buy new cores for the 2530's for only $800nz each.

Ring Garrett Japan and get some new cores.

T517 10cm will be more laggy, have no water cooling and wont be as durable as 2530's in my opinion :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out the guy has 8cm's in store. Seriously thinking about these as rebuilding the 2530's will take close to a month before my car gets back on the road.

If I do go with the T517z kit what do I do about the water lines? Should the kit come with passage block offs of some sort? I know the oil lines are different as well and I can see that those come with.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
T517 10cm will be more laggy, have no water cooling and wont be as durable as 2530's in my opinion
The 10cm's will be more laggy as i believe they may be meant for a larger than standard capacity??

But as far as durability goes ...... the only time mine needed attention was when i sent bits of bottom end shell through them.So i had them rebuilt with Evo 6 (water cooled) centre housings and they have been fine since:) .

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I cannot recommend GT-SS highly enough - absolutely loved them on mine and suprised a huge number of people with much bigger, laggier set-ups :)

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
GTSS - like a 600cc bike.... you'll be happy for a while...

I cannot recommend GT-SS highly enough - absolutely loved them on mine and suprised a huge number of people with much bigger, laggier set-ups :)
GTSS are great - instant response for road / circuits, and they can punch above their wieght. But..... in my humble opinion... you can feel them reach their flow limit at the top end and boost can drop off when pushed even with a big HKS intercooler. 450 at the wheels seems to be their limit. Look at the Jtuner skyline thrash - 3rd fastest 0-60 behind the Lemon and Tim's R34 with GTSS' but I topped out at 165 and they went on to 180 plus over the same distance. (OK those are very special cars but they just pull harder for longer with the bigger turbos) My best 1/4 mile is a fairly consistent 12.1ish at 115ish. I'd say on standard internals they'd be a great choice but if your considering forged pistons etc... you'll probably be looking to upgrade the GTSS once you get used to them....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I found a great deal on some new Trust 8cm and just couldn't pass them up, fitted them this afternoon. I got a good oil cooler as well so that should prolong the turbo life no?. Also I still have a standard head gasket so I will only be at around 1.2 for a while until I save some more funds....ahh this is fun :)

Thanks/Cheers:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts