GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am really seriously considering giving Peter E a deposit and coming on the track day, but, I need to de-restrict my car.
I know there are several options open to me, GTR performance parts do a speedo mod which I have heard can affect the HICASS but it will de restrict the car.
other options include the proprietry replacement ECU's,

has anyone ever blown their own chips from the mapping contained on say an HKS upgrade ? I don't mind spending money but at the end of the day all you are getting for your £700 is a re-mapped prom, total value 37p

I am planning on taking the car to about 400 bhp over the next few months, so can anyone recommend the "best" route to do this. I need to be de restricted to make it worth going on the track day so this is my main priority, should I go for the Abbey,gtr performance parts, another garage/make ?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

perhaps someone could explain what an f con v does as well

many thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on ... don't be shy.

there are only about 3 standard skylines in the world and I own one of them !!

the rest of you "modders" must have some input for me

/Steve

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Upgrades.

Hi Steve,

I was nearly tempted to respond but as I'm taking a course in 'how to keep your mouth shut ' or I suppose 'how to keep your finger still and get on with some work' at the moment and as you've already had my tuppence worth before, I resisted.... ;)

I'm still waiting for that call you know! Perhaps a little spin will convince to get going on your path to liberation! :D

Peter.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Mods

Dear Steve.

As you are in Sussex the choice for you has to be Abbey.

The initial stages you want to do are common so discussion would be a bit flat. I don't meen boring so please don't think that.

And boy the difference you will feel from standard is quite incredible really :D .

So give 'em a call, get it sorted, and have your trackday :smokin: .

See Ya.

T6KYO

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
silly question...

Thanks for your responses guys,

Peter, I am definately up for popping down to see you,every time I am about to call you it pours with rain. Hopefully this weekend....

Now where does the F-Con-V come into the loop ?
can you get a fully programable ecu ? or do you do all of the programming type things on the boost controller ?
I want to buy upgrades that are future proof so if I do go down the 700 bhp route I dont need to re-buy equipment I should have bought in the first place, personally I think 400 will be enough but when you get used to it it is time to upgrade again.

how careful will I have to be with no oil uk oil cooler on the car at a track day ?
will it be a case of 2-4 laps then come in and cool down ?

thanks again....
Steve

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Re: silly question...not really!

I'm not doing very well with my course am I? This will probably bore some people as I'm always going on about it but the Power FC has got to be the way to go when you're talking programable ecu's. It's future proof also, easy if not tedious to use and easy to fit. I'll show you when and if you come down.

On the oil cooler front, I did 4 or 5 track days without one and I did see oil temps up to around 140 deg C which isn't a problem for the oil necessarily as I use Mobil 1 Motorsport which is rated to 160 deg C but it can't be good for the lump. 2 or these days were at Goodwood when we only got 5 laps in each session so it wasn't a problem. It really is a must if you are comntemplating track days. Guy's offer sounds pretty good to me!

Peter.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Oil Cooler

Guy
Just out of curiousity how much labour time/cost is involved in fitting the oil cooler.
Where did Abbey fit yours :-
In front of the rad or l/h lower side of the bumper behind the air duct?
Let me know if Steve does not have it please.;)
Best regards

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Power FC

Peter

Yeah I've got one of these. An Apexi unit and it does look good I must say. Recommended by Abbey so I am pleased that it is future proof. Haven't spoke to Abbey yet about what it does as they are so busy I haven't got it set up properly yet. Plus I need larger injectors. What does it all do then Peter???

T6KYO

·
Registered
404 Posts
Tuning

Steve,

Having just gone through the whole tuning thing this year here a few pointers:

ECU, for Euro grade fuel.

Down pipe, free flowing gases from the turbo’s.

Big bore exhaust, complete the free flow of gases, and sounds good too.

Free flow air filter, faster air intake, and you can hear the blow off valves better.

Oil cooler, a must have if you intend to use your car for track work.

Iridium Spark plugs, at least the engine idles smoothly.

Boost controller, you’ll need to keep the boost presser below 1.0 bar with the standard turbo’s.

Something the other posts have missed so far is brakes. You’ll need to upgrade at least the pads for track use.

One last thing you may want to talk to Abbey, about is the clutch. Depending on your driving habits you may need an upgraded clutch with this extra power.

If you would like to see some pictures of most these parts try www.separts.co.uk

See you at Peter’s track day.

Regards Paul.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Re: Power FC

t6kyo said:
Peter

.... What does it all do then Peter???

T6KYO
Hi Glen,

Basically, it's a programmable ecu which replaces the stock ecu. It's model specific as it comes preloaded with base maps (fuelling, timing, etc.) for the intended vehicle.

I've cut and pasted some blurb below which I've posted before about it.

..... To be able to provide additional fuelling, you either need to add afr's, replace the ecu with a modified version which will be preset to a particular level of tune or replace it with a programmable system. I opted for the latter as it allows you to modify a lot of the ecu's parameters to cope with the future upgrades without having to take it out every time and have it reprogrammed, as with the second option, the first option only being applicable to light tune anyway.

The PFC also doubles as an engine diagnostic tool as it monitors most of the engine's sensors and will display any faults allowing you to identify these quickly and easily. It also displays (up to 8 at any one time) a lot of the engines sensor's readings real time and will record a 12 second run which allows you to cross reference various readings, e.g. det. against fuelling and/or timing and/or revs, etc.

I thought it to be the most user friendly and future proof piece of kit out there. Downside over here is that there is no tech backup here in the UK. I even asked Shin Inoue to post a question on the GTROC forum in Japan without success. I'd still recommend to anybody though!

When I said that there was no tech backup here, I meant official Apexi backup. As you know, Abbey are fans of it too and are becoming more and more experienced at programming it. I think that Mark is also trying to get hold of the software to make programming easier and less tedious. :D

See you at the Skyline track day!

Peter.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
APEXi

Peter and Glen

I believe that you find Kiki @ Option-Motorsport an APEXi dealer for the UK. He mentioned this a while ago as I was going to get a power FC before my gearbox needed attention and was talking to him about setting it up perhaps it might be worth the phone call.

I do humbly appologise to you guys if i have given you bum gen but he seemed to know a hell of a lot about it including maps and programming.

They can be contacted @
Unit 3
West End Farm
Silverstone
Towcester
Northants
NN12 8UY
Tel 01327-858555

:D Hope this is of help to you guys

Best regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts