GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Morning guys,

Always been a bit of an early riser, as such I've been up since 4am, for me the best part of the day in some respects, that calm period just before the world wakes up, love it.

Also seem to get so much more done with out interruptions, well usually, but today I made myself a cuppa, turned the laptop on and started to upload yesterdays photos to photobucket, with it taking quite a while to do this I went on to spotify to listen to one of my play lists, on came Mr Blue Sky by ELO and instantly I was back to my school days, sat in the sixth form common room surrounded by my old friends, and due to the rest of that play list that's where I've been for the last two hours, music is a powerful thing for those of us that allow it to be, more than capable of evoking memories, thoughts, emotions.

Sorry for going off a bit, but if you get chance today take the time to listen to a couple of tracks from one of the good times in your past and just enjoy the memories.

Right, back to reality, must have got wrapped up in what I was doing yesterday a I didn't take anywhere near as many photos as I thought I had, so here's the few I did take to show where I'm at, the first three are from earlier in the thread.

Wanted to deal with the bad repair on the sill, but as I looked closer the rust needed to be uncovered and sorted, along with the shitty welding and patch work,

And due to this little rust hole in the end of the sill, I ended up doing a lot more than I was going to,

This lot just had to be sorted,

So a cut was made and welds were drilled,

Quite a few more welds drilled and a big cut later,

And I had a big hole, the only way to get the sill end off properly,

Finally got the sill section off, you can see why it needed to be removed, rust monsters living behind it, and a lot of reshaping needed,

Also removed this inner sill end section,

I'm going to try and save as much of the original inner sill as possible, though there are some bits that need to be chopped and replaced unfortunately,

Had a go at making a new section to replace the old one,

Made to go back in here, just need to repair it first,

Trial fit,

Cut out the dodgy patch work, and strangely despite the sill being squashed upwards, the floor was actually bent down about an inch, which took an age to knock back and put the shape back in to it,

So this is pretty much where I'm up to at the moment,

Hopefully get a couple of days next week to do a bit more, till then,

See ya....

Kev.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Superb effort.
Cheers Kadir, don't mind putting in the effort when I have the time.

You certainly don't do things in halfs? Awesome work!
Not one for dipping my toe in the water, if your going in, just jump and hope the shock doesn't kill you, :chuckle:

hell kev you is man mountain.
More like man on his way up a mountain, can't see the top yet, but for now I'm just enjoying the climb.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Kev.

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
Very impressive Kev, you should be very proud of the work so far.

I wish I had the time (and obviously the skills) to be able to take on a project like this!

Subscribed.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Have I missed something in the world??? Is the other 'project' still happening??

On a side note the pedals look in good condition :eek::eek:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Very impressive Kev, you should be very proud of the work so far.

I wish I had the time (and obviously the skills) to be able to take on a project like this!

Subscribed.
Thank you for the kind words Matt, never really saw this type of thread as something you'd be interested in, just got a different vibe from you for some reason, having said that I'm glad you like what I'm doing, and there's plenty more to come.

Thanks again bud, and I wish your son all the best with his carting.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Have I missed something in the world??? Is the other 'project' still happening??

On a side note the pedals look in good condition :eek::eek:
No you've not missed much, the other one's still on, just at a stage where I could do with spending a chunk of money on it, so I chose to do this while I saved some pennies, hence "Project B" doing this is nice because I don't have the ties to it like I do with the other one, so a completely different mind set and approach, loving it so far and coming up with different ideas every day, even I don't know where it's going, as for the pedals, limited edition ripspeed specials, yours for the price of postage, :chuckle:.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No you've not missed much, the other one's still on, just at a stage where I could do with spending a chunk of money on it, so I chose to do this while I saved some pennies, hence "Project B" doing this is nice because I don't have the ties to it like I do with the other one, so a completely different mind set and approach, loving it so far and coming up with different ideas every day, even I don't know where it's going, as for the pedals, limited edition ripspeed specials, yours for the price of postage, :chuckle:.
Ripspeed pedals on an R32?? Just chuck the whole lot in the bin its been tarnished now.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I would like to see this return into stock form. Maybe the initial idea and you dont know? :D
Anything is possible at this stage, but the main problem would be the stupid price of the parts these days, I would need to buy far to many to put this back to standard, hence the idea of a stripped out rat rod, may turn out to be really cool, either that or I may just sell the shell, once it's repaired of course, and then put the money towards the other one, who knows.

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
Thank you for the kind words Matt, never really saw this type of thread as something you'd be interested in, just got a different vibe from you for some reason, having said that I'm glad you like what I'm doing, and there's plenty more to come.

Thanks again bud, and I wish your son all the best with his carting.

Regards Kev.
I absolutely love threads like this Kev, seeing the love and dedication others put into their vehicles is inspiring- especially when done by their own hands. Sadly, I don't have the time but I really want to do a bare chassis build on my car, not because it needs it but because I want it to last another 20 years and also because of the times/power I'm running, it really needs a full weld-in cage anyway. If I could combine that with some decent weight reduction, it'd be a very quick car!

BTW - The vibe thing is just because I really don't like to see other enthusiast being ripped off because they too are passionate but are perhaps seen as possibly a little weaker or an easy target. I could honestly send you a couple of pictures and a story that would bring a tear to your eye, that's one of my passions, helping other forum users where I can; it is after all, a community. I really don't understand how people have no morals in the tuning business - But anyway, let's not go there and way off topic in this thread.

Thanks too - We're at Hooton Park today, we practiced with the NKF round yesterday and we're going to watch the heats and finals today. Next week, he's old enough to race! :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Hi All,

Manage to get half of Monday an a good bit of Tuesday on the car, both of which seemed to fly, must admit I spent a while trying to work out what was wrong with the section of sill that I made, shape wise it looked pretty close to the one that cam off, until I compared it to my other car and realised the bottom two folds I had copied were actually due to damage caused by jacking, though they did look like original pressing folds,

This is what it looked like at first,

Then once flattened out,

With that ready to fit I thought I'd sort this little bit out first,

Made a little strip for across the bottom,

Needed a bit more shape putting in to it, the tiny step is to allow for the original metal to sit flush with the new section and strengthen the joint, it will also allow the weld to ground flat once finished in an attempt to make the patch hard to detect, doesn't always work but worth a try,

Had to trim a little off the bottom,

Trial fit,

Most of the welding done, the bit where I missed the seam when welding turned out to be a stroke of luck as it's actually a drain slot that needs reshaping,

Then once the weld is ground back and the heat distortion taken out it starts to look like the original seam,

And from the other side,

Once I'd got that done I worked on the inner sill a bit more, trying to tap out some of the little dents and creases that became more noticeable as I went along, down side was, when I came to fit the new piece I'd made it was about 2-3mm to short top to bottom :eek: which led to me making another, not something I wanted to do, but hey, shit happens,

This time I took a template off my other car just to make sure the shape was right at the front,

Take two....

Another trial fit,

Welded in place,

I have some more to post but photo bucket is being soooooo slow, I'll do it tomorrow,

Chill time,

Kev.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How do you shape the repair panels you are making?
Hi David,

I use various steel blocks and hammers, a decent vice, also make quite a lot of one off tools and I use the word tools loosely, they're more like bits of steel plate with holes or slots cut in, bolts with the ends cut off then a radius ground on the end.

It'll be easier to take a few pics of what I mean, rather than try and explain, it's nothing complicated believe me, just me being tight and trying to do everything on the cheap, I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

Kev.

·
Registered
282 Posts
wow thought mine had a lot of rust. doing a good job. as that shell got a dent in the gearbox tunnel same as your other were you thought the gearbox or something wasd hitting ?
how is your other getting on

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Back again,

After repairing most of the inner sill I thought I should have a go at straightening this out,

I started by cutting the bottom lip off and welding a new one in its place, still got a bit more cleaning up to do,

I get wrapped up in what I'm doing and forget about taking photos, this is one of the bad bit that i decided to cut out and replace, you can see the state that the bottom lip was in,

Looking more like a sill again once it had been attacked with a hammer and block,

Made a patch piece for the hole in the end of the sill,

Tacked in place, sorry for the short post, I thought I had more photos than this, need to check,

A bit more epoxy mastic inside the sill before putting it back on, a bit pointless I suppose with the rest not being done, but I kinda feel like I should do the bit I can get to,

Did a bit more today as I got rained off at work, I'm uploading some pics to photobucket as I type this, so I'll get those up tomorrow.

I must admit that I struggled a bit today, the original metal work is so thin it's almost impossible to work with and get good results, I found myself doing a lot of "chasing" as the old metal just melted away during the welding process, I did follow your advice Gareth and use 1mm wire which seemed to help, but even my patience and positive attitude have been well and truly tested this week.

Seeing as this was never going to be a full on restoration like my other, I find myself leaning towards just cutting out the rust and plating back up with new metal and visible welds, rather than trying to make the repairs undetectable, which should help speed things along, then cut out the rusted wheel arches I have at the moment and replace them with some home made wide ones as I said once before, a car more for a bit of fun as opposed to show style.

Kev.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts