GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Cheers David,

I'll give that a look first thing in the morning, was taking that picture for you today and realised what a pile of shite I use for shaping the bits I make, a bit embarrassed to be honest, but I'll get it up tomorrow, going to crash now I'm knackered,

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
David,

Checked out that link you gave me, and your right about the aches, I bet when they're painted they would pass for standard to the untrained eye, the best thing is my brother runs an e46 and has another one for spare parts, so I think his front wings may go missing in the near future.

I was going to put a couple of pic of the bits I use, but I really do use anything that works for the job in hand at the time, Tazzmaxx on here as just put me on to a forum that's made me realise just how shit I am and how little I know about making replacement panels, but hopefully that should change as I learn some of the techniques for working with and shaping metal,

Back to the car, spotted this and wanted to sort it while I still had access to the inside of the sill,

Turns out that on of my brothers had this and I never knew,

Which helped a lot, laid a bit of 3x2 in the bottom of the sill for something to push off and distribute the weight, then inserted the jaws and pushed the crease out,

Before I started to weld the sill back on I made a little section up to use as a patch piece for the bad bit I cut out,

Then started welding the sill back on,

Made sure things lined up,

Tapped this back in to shape, from this,

To this,

Tacked it in place, it lined up nicely,

Thanks to those of you that have taken the time to look and I hope you all have a good weekend,

Kev.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I've used a couple of places John, Pickersgills in Leeds and John street platers in Sheffield, both good but it depends on the type of finish you want, I personally didn't realise there were so many different types of zinc plating, Pickersgills did me a load of bits but when I went to collect them I was disappointed with the finish, as in it was dull, so I took them to Sheffield to have them done again, when I got there the guy who owns John street platers put them under his analyser to measure the thickness of the coating that Pickersgills had applied, and told me that due to it being so many microns thick they were probably coated with cobalt zinc, which provides better resistance to the elements but has a matt finish, where as the yellow zinc I was after looked better but wouldn't last as long.

I would go and have a chat to both before deciding which to use, Pickersgills have a minimum price of £50 so take a bucket full when you go, not just a hand full, that was there advice to me anyway, when you ask John street how much you owe them, they are more like, "I don't know, give me 20 quid", Once you see them you will get what I mean, John street is a massive place, they have tanks the size of 20' containers, so a few nuts and bolts are nothing to them, where as Pickersgills is more focused, though they both use the same prep method and just pickle the stuff you want doing to remove the rust before plating, but for me the best idea would be to sand blast first, much better for the zinc to get hold of, as I said I really think you need to visit both and then decide.

If you want my number to have a chat let me know.

Kev.

·
Registered
87 Posts
this has to be one of the more ambitious projects that I've seen. good on you mate for keeping it out of the scrap yard! Can't wait to see the completed product

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Kev great work. I was looking under my car and there is some rusted areas which I will be fixing. What type of sheet metal do you use to make panels? Just plain steel or does it have some kind of protective coating?
And what gauge is the metal?
I know once you fix area you can apply epoxy primer but what can be done about the inside the opposite sides where you can really spray a protective coating.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well....maybe it's time to give this one a bump,

I've just had a read back through and I'm a little surprised that it's been over three years since my last update, thought it looked rough when I got it back in doors, but considering it's been sat outside my garage on a trailer, with a crappy frame and cover over it for that long, maybe it could be worse, I did have to remove the rats nest though, little bar stewards.

I could go into the history of this, but the project is only three pages long, so for those who want to know, just have a scan back through.

One of the reasons it's getting a bump, is because last Friday I needed the trailer it's been sat on to take the KH2 shell to be painted, so the day before I had a clean up outside the garage and moved stuff about in order to do what needed to be done.

This was when I took the covers of, not bad,

The frame had sagged a little in the middle,

Luckily the shell roof was there to support it,

Removed the frame and got the wheels back under the trailer bed, then pushed it up to the garage doors ready for going inside,

With a little help and after a lot of shunting and messing about, we got the KH2 on the trailer ready to go and the blue one on the rotisserie, space is getting a bit tight,

But at least it's back in the garage now,

Back in a bit.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
I'm going to put a few images up, some from the last time it was in the garage, which was at a time when I'd had enough and even the little things were getting on my nerves, which I suppose contributed to the car being on a trailer for three years.

If I think about it, what I was really pissed off at was the fact that life was getting in the way of what I really wanted to do, which was the cars, but before I decided to throw a paddy and bail on the project, I'd had a go at repairing the near side jacking damage to the sill and floor area, which started out like this.

I started by cutting the end off then unpicking the seam to try and get hold of the inner sill, a bit of a mess to say the least

It was around now it went outside for a while, until last week when it came back in,

And I thought, just cut the sill off rather than struggling,

And after spending a few hours over a couple of afternoons, I managed to get a bit of shape back in to it,

Had a go at straightening this out,

Then welding it back on,

Still needs some work but getting there.

Till next time.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hi,

I know a few people have said they wouldn't mind me posting updates on the progress of this project, so that's what i'll keep doing for now,

Got rained off at work the other day, so thought I'd have a go at this,

Was just going to stick a patch on it, but couldn't, so cut it out to reveal this,

Then cut that out and made a small panel to weld in,

Made it slightly larger than the hole so I could mark round it and joggle the edge, couldn't find my joggler anywhere, so had to use a chisel and vice, looks crap but achieves the same results,

Then did the same with the top layer, did clean and treat the area before covering it with the new piece,

Test fitting,

Marked and joggled,

Ready for welding,

Also had a go at removing all the filler from the knackered rear quarter, the rust is obvious but wanted to see how far the damage went,

I count five layers of paint, someone's been busy,

More to come,

I also got most of the painted parts back for the KH2, will get some pics of those tomorrow , till then.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts