GTR Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kev on your last post you replaced 2 layers of sheet metal and you said treat the metal. How do you treat the layer thats under the top layer, How you treat it so that it doesn’t rust.

Keep all the posts coming I’m learning from you !!’

Thank you

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Kev on your last post you replaced 2 layers of sheet metal and you said treat the metal. How do you treat the layer thats under the top layer, How you treat it so that it doesn’t rust.

Keep all the posts coming I’m learning from you !!’

Thank you
Morning,

I was just about to reply on the other thread, then you popped up on here, firstly thanks for looking and to answer your question, bearing in mind I'm no professional, there's loads of different ways to treat bare metal and in my mind no particular one is "the right one" as long as the product you use does the job.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, short or long term protection, some products are better suited than others, in your case short term and small areas at a time, allowing you to come back and apply the final finish to the lot in one go when your ready.

If your keeping the car inside during the whole process a simple can of primer will do as it's just protecting against moist air and easy to flat back should you want to, for something a little more heavy duty, good old red oxide, not the choice of most automotive restorers but it's been used in the steel industry to protect bare metal for decades for the simple reason "it works", zinc based primers from companies like bilthamber are good, kurust and the like for treating rusted areas, if you need to do any welding, copper weld through primers, and the best I've come across is epoxy mastic from companies like Rustbuster, very very hard wearing.

I could go on forever but I'm sure you get the idea, if you're on insta check our sr-autobodies, top guy at what he does and you should find it very informative, but if there's anything you want me to elaborate on, or go into more detail about, or simply anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

Could I ask what area your in, just roughly, assuming your UK based that is.

Regards Kev.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Morning,

I was just about to reply on the other thread, then you popped up on here, firstly thanks for looking and to answer your question, bearing in mind I'm no professional, there's loads of different ways to treat bare metal and in my mind no particular one is "the right one" as long as the product you use does the job.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, short or long term protection, some products are better suited than others, in your case short term and small areas at a time, allowing you to come back and apply the final finish to the lot in one go when your ready.

If your keeping the car inside during the whole process a simple can of primer will do as it's just protecting against moist air and easy to flat back should you want to, for something a little more heavy duty, good old red oxide, not the choice of most automotive restorers but it's been used in the steel industry to protect bare metal for decades for the simple reason "it works", zinc based primers from companies like bilthamber are good, kurust and the like for treating rusted areas, if you need to do any welding, copper weld through primers, and the best I've come across is epoxy mastic from companies like Rustbuster, very very hard wearing.

I could go on forever but I'm sure you get the idea, if you're on insta check our sr-autobodies, top guy at what he does and you should find it very informative, but if there's anything you want me to elaborate on, or go into more detail about, or simply anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

Could I ask what area your in, just roughly, assuming your UK based that is.

Regards Kev.
Thanks a lot Kev. I will be welding patches. There is one area in the rear wheel well that rusted through all layers. So maybe I should use weld through primer on the bottom layers. Is the weld through primer supposed to be used on the back side before you weld ? But won’t it contaminate the weld ??
I’m not in the UK :(
Thanks again your work is awesome and inspiring

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks a lot Kev. I will be welding patches. There is one area in the rear wheel well that rusted through all layers. So maybe I should use weld through primer on the bottom layers. Is the weld through primer supposed to be used on the back side before you weld ? But won’t it contaminate the weld ??
I’m not in the UK :(
Thanks again your work is awesome and inspiring
You have a PM.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts