GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to brainstorm reasons why the replacement propshaft was about 10mm too short for my car. In stretching it to fit (by tightening up the gearbox flange bolts) it broke the rear CV joint within 6 feet of driving it off the ramp :bawling:

That was a prop which Jay kindly sent me for price of postage, I REALLY dont want the same thing happening to the one Ive got coming from Abbey which cost me £185!! :bawling:

So if anyone has any ideas why this would be the case, speak now or forever hold your peace :)

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I think it reasonable to ask abbey for info seeing how you are buying the prop from them.

If you want to come and have a look at my prop to check like for like that would be fine seeing how its my old box thats on your car now.

the only reason I can think of is that your engine is sitting further forward than it should, the engle of the engine is wrong or the diff is further back (or the prop was not compatable - is the 33 and 34 gtr / gtst / gtt variants all the same?)

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was an R32 GTR prop that I got from Jay.

I am going to play with the gearbox mounting bolts, see if I can jiggle it backwards a few mm. We did have a bit of a faff lining it up.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I suggest fitting the prop without the centre bearing screwed to the car. That was the prop has a little extra endfloat.

Then look to re-confirm that the prop is indeed too short of that the problem lies with the centre bearing.

It's just another way of looking at things. Something may materialise, something may not, but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea Andy :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Was your old prop to badly knackered to lay them side by side to compare the lengths?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
leggus said:
Was your old prop to badly knackered to lay them side by side to compare the lengths?
This is what's left of it:

:p

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Way back in my memory I seem to remember someone telling me there were two distinct lengths of propshaft for GTRs. They are not all equally interchangeable. Don't quote me on this, but something to bear in mind, and I'd like to get the true story on this to clarify my own mind. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Does the prop have a sliding joint ? and if so is it stuck in making the shaft short ?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
R32/R33 are the same. R34 is different.

The Getrag is longer than the Nissan 5 speed. The Getrags longer so the driveshafts shorter. Its two piece, so you can take the front part off, which is the different part and swap it.

Fun things you have to do when you swap from Getrag to Holinger and back and forth 13 times in 8 months.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's fixed now :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tyndago said:
R32/R33 are the same
What is this then:

Thats the rear section of the prop I got off Jay on top, and the rear section of prop that I got off Ian underneath. It had a slightly different mounting bracket for the donut aswell - both sides level whereas the proper one has one (the bolt) higher up than the other (the nut).

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
R32 Combat said:
What was difference??
Not being in a rush I think :eek:

I dunno - it still seemed stretched, but when I put the end of one of the other props up against the CV joint I could see the splines were well inside the joint. I really cant see what the difference is between the way it is now which just got me 12 miles home - and the one I had before which broke within 6 feet of the ramp!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys, i was just wondering if any of you can help me. Im buying an R33 myself, 40th anniversary, very nice, R34 blue. 2.5t. There are a couple of apexi mods and apparently a drift spec diff. Now the catch is that when i move off from being parked and im turning the steering fairly tight there is a knocking from the rear, presumably the diff. The present owner owns it a year and said the knocking has always been there, its there because its a drift diff,,, Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LSDs make some horrendous noises sometimes so he could well be telling the truth. The thing is - do you actually want a severe LSD like that on your road car?

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Glad you got it fixed dude, now attach a towbar and buy a trailer, i need a hand with summat :D

Pikey said:
LSDs make some horrendous noises sometimes so he could well be telling the truth. The thing is - do you actually want a severe LSD like that on your road car?
Dont be such a pussy, of course you do :D :smokin: :flame:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Pikey said:
What is this then:
Thats the rear section of the prop I got off Jay on top, and the rear section of prop that I got off Ian underneath. It had a slightly different mounting bracket for the donut aswell - both sides level whereas the proper one has one (the bolt) higher up than the other (the nut).
Come to think of it, I might never have tried R33/R32 swap. I have done R32 to R34. On that one I just changed the front section of the driveshaft in front of the center bearing.

The lengths of the R32-R33 are the same. The aftermarket single piece driveshafts for R32-R33 have the same part number.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts