GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...
just had my gearbox rebuilt due to the syncromesh failing on 3rd & 4th, got it back yesterday and there is a VERY noticeable vibration upwards of 55mph.
spoke to the garage about it on the fone, but they say it cant be connected to the work they have carried out, but i disagree.
can the prop be put back in mis-aligned?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
We always mark the the cross flanges so they go back on exactly as they were just to be sure. If your car is a 2wd GTS it is possible that there is still a problem in the box, we've seen them shake real bad some parts in the rear of the box are worn. If it has only done it since the box was done, try phasing the driveshaft one end at a time 90 or 180 degrees at a time and re-try it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that. its not a GTS but a 33 GTR v-spec with a Xeddy triple plate clutch, although i dont think it is clutch related as it still vibrates when the clutch is disengaged.
must be the prop.
what do you mean about "phasing" buddy?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
OK, now I know the model of car you have, it is very possible they have put the driveshaft back in in a different way to it came out.
The front cross on th edriveshaft can go in 1 of 2 ways (180 degrees apart) the center hanger bearing may have been installed without the correct spacer collers or no collars at all.
The driveshaft is 2 piece but they would not have needed to seperate the 2 pieces.
undo the 4 bolts on the front of the driveshaft and turn the shaft 180 degrees and put it back on, try that. Do one thing at a time when you test.
Then check the way the hanger has been mounted.
As your car is 4wd without a 2wd style front yoke, looks like the driveshaft or its install is your problem.....Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts