GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you get pulled up driving your skyline, I am going to start driving it as my main car but was wondering if I will get pulled up every 5 mins.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to many of them round by me so, thats not really a major issue its the police pulling me over I hate as it wastes so much time

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't worry about it. I personally have only been stopped once (and I was parked at the time!) and the two Traffic cops proceeded to chat to me about the car for about 10 min, asking how quick it was and "To see what they were up against if one was reported stolen!"

As lond as your behaving (Or simply don't get caught;) ) you'll have no worries. As I say, most people, including the police, are more inquizitive than anything else!
:)

Andy T.

·
Registered
515 Posts
In two years

I've only got pulled once. The copper said he'd had a report of a silver skyline leaving a petrol station rather fast. Some people obviously associate loud noise with speed! Like all the other peoples experiences he asked me what engine it had, how fast etc. Now he waves every time he see's me! ;)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I've been pulled over three times in it, all because of my non-standard size numberplates. Whats annoying is that they're small, but the typeface isn't illegible or anythiing - its just an exact fit for the recess at the front.

Bit annoying really. Last time I was stopped (over 3 months ago, which is coincidentally how long I've been without my GTR :( :() I was told I'd get an instant court summons if I didn't get them changed. :(

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I am awaiting a leter from the PF concerning my number plates.

They are *?*** format plates, with fullsize letters, the back one is on a cut down plate to fit the recess, with all the letters in a line, the front is cut down and the borders are minimal. The front one I agree with plod is marginally illegal, the rear one IMO complies with all laws, however it doesn't show some BS Nº and plod reported me to the PF.

This is from the only time I have been stopped, in 2 years of driving the Skyline, and it is a recent thing.

Make sure your plates are OK to so as to avoid any hassle.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The funny thing is, I once went to the local Police station with a letter in hand from a previous thread on this forum about the possibility of the Law changing for Japanese imports, and whilst I was there 2 female Police officers came out....

Them: "Does anyone here own that blue car outside?"
Me: "Yes, its mine"
Them: "Could you come outside for a minute"
Me: "Let me guess, the numberplates right?"
Them: "Yes"

Took 15 minutes of convincing that I had actually come to the Police station to talk about them to avoid another bollocking.

Whats more frustrating than anything is that I often see cars about with non standard typefaces/plate sizes, and because they're more common cars they get away scot free. :mad:

·
Registered
194 Posts
No Plates

Valid point guys.

Used to get hassle all the time about the number plates on my Evo V. (To be fair I had one on the front at one point that was the same size as italian front plates, i.e v small!) I complained that if the WRC cars, which were registered in the UK had them, then they MUST be legal, as the have to run between stages on the public highway. I even resorted to keeping a photo of Makkinen's Evo V in my car, as I was getting stopped every week and threatened with court bull.:(

When I got the Skyline, I took a different approach. Went to Jim Allan's Bike shop, across the road from my garage where I work, and got him to make me up a front and rear plate. The front fits right in my GTR's cutout, as does the rear. Both have the BS numbers and kite mark, and both use MOT size numbers and letters (Admittedly, the front are Bike no's and letters!).

To this day, I haven't been pulled once for them. If you want to see what they look like, I'll email you a photo chaps.

Moral? Ask your bike shop what they can do for you.;) :D

Andy T.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My car has an Abbey front plate which on the one occasion which I was stopped (given a bollocking about a perfectly legal radar detector, for trying to 'Beat the system'), I asked the police what they thought of it, and they conceded that it was legal! The plate just fills out the gap and has a full length R*** XXX type plate so characters are much smaller than standard. The PC conceded that the plate was legal for an imported car!

So I guess Abbey make right size plates (mine were fitted by the previous owner)...

As for police, I've had less stops than in most previous cars!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Was just posting this, but realised this shot has a slightly different plate...

Its quite similar to above perhaps with a little more border and an Abbey Motorsport sticker...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Aye, got it :)

That looks excellent. The front plate actually looks to be about the same size as mine, although I've got non-standard (non-legal?) lettering.

Am I right in thinking this is the correct "Jim Allan" ?

Jim Allan Motorcycles,
208 Grahams Road,
Falkirk,
FK2 7BX.

:confused:

Got a phone number for them off hand? :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts