GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone let me just start with abit about myself, my name's Omar but most people call me Moogles ( just a nickname given to me by some mates ) I'm 15 years old and know just as much about GT-R's as any other GT-R enthusiast, I've been inlove with them ever since I was 11 and know literally everything about them, long story short I plan to get an R32 GT-R as a first car but I plan on rebuilding the motor myself when I mentioned this to an older brother of mine he told me to get another motor and learn off that just for experience, guys I'm looking for a motor running or not running honestly I don't mind what motor it is how many cylinders it has or anything even if it's not the complete engine ( missing a flywheel, starter motor etc... ) I just need any motor so I can pull apart and just learn from as a hobby, I'm from Sydney Australia and I'm willing to pay for the motor but obviously not to much ( I'm only getting $7.50 a hour at maccas so don't be too harsh on me lmao )

Thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Welcome. Couldn't you visit a local scrapyard and get an engine from them? Would work out cheaper as most people here are UK based and shipping an engine is expensive.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
To be honest, You would be better off getting a whole car with a blown engine, remove it, rebuild it, then put it back in and you get to hear it run (or not) and you might even be able to recover your costs when you sell the car.

Failing that you will need some way to test your engine once its done, so thats something you need to consider, the easier way is to use an old engine with a carb and simple electrics (VW Flat 4 or A series mini spring to mind) both engines have lots of spares available and lots of documentation too, and both should be easy to run on a test stand.

Unless you simply plan to look inside one, in which case any old lump will do :) Might be worth you visiting a few garages local to you, When I had a garage I quite often had a scrap engine kicking about that anyone could have taken for a few beer tokens :)

Let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I forgot about that lmao, I actually live very close to a whole lot of wreckers in my area I'll go have a look and see what they have :p I'm looking for inparticularly a 6 cylinder motor to actually look into, that is a good idea buying a car with a blown motor atleast I could test if it turns on and runs after the rebuild, I'm not really a four cylinder guy but it's my only choice I don't mind but honestly guys do you's think I'm wasting my time doing all this or that it is a good idea? Any suggestions instead of my idea guys?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I would suggest that its a superb idea, You can learn far more stripping and rebuilding one engine yourself than all the books can ever teach. It gives you a chance to get a feel for things like removing and refitting piston rings, setting bearings and using various tools you need such a torque wrenches and valve compressors etc.

The number of cylinders wont matter too much if your only using an engine for education as a 4 cylinder will contain all the components of a 6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts