GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Today I had the dreaded bleep from the dashboard with the low tyre pressure warning. On inspection I have picked up a screw right on the shoulder of one of my rear tyres.

Question is, should I replace just the punctured tyre or both rear tyres? The car was serviced about 500 miles ago and all tyres were at 6mm.

What is the tread depth of the tyres when new (Dunlop)? Will the slight difference between a brand new rear tyre tread depth, and the opposite rear tyre with 6mm, cause any problems to the diff, 4WD, or handling?

Any advice much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ben.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd go for the short pain and get 2 new tyres. I know it isn't pleasant and expensive but driving this car with one worn and 1 new tyre could affect some things.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi all,

Today I had the dreaded bleep from the dashboard with the low tyre pressure warning. On inspection I have picked up a screw right on the shoulder of one of my rear tyres.

Question is, should I replace just the punctured tyre or both rear tyres? The car was serviced about 500 miles ago and all tyres were at 6mm.

What is the tread depth of the tyres when new (Dunlop)? Will the slight difference between a brand new rear tyre tread depth, and the opposite rear tyre with 6mm, cause any problems to the diff, 4WD, or handling?

Many thanks,

Ben.

The cost of one tyre is bad enough! I really can't imagine you or the car is going to notice the difference on our roads here!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Hi all,

Many thanks,

Ben.
A new tyre is 8mm
So you being able to notice the 2mm difference would be impossible.

Robbie

·
Registered
777 Posts
As above, I understood the Dunlops, new, had 8 or 9mm of tread. If I were you, I would get one tyre for now then replace both when the older one wears down. Then keep the one with the 2mm more tread in case it happens again!

I feel your pain.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
this may well be an old wives tale, but i have tried it and seems to work...

inflate both new and old tyres to exactly same pressure... straight line, 20-30mph, flat road, no cambers, apply handbrake only, sharply. if it pulls up square you is good.

easily done this time of year with all the ice! he hehe.

(prepares to be shot down in flames :flame:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Always good form to replace both tyres on the axle if you can.

Good tip about keeping the part worn tyre as a future spare but I thought once the tyres were removed from the alloy they could no longer be re-used?

·
Registered
816 Posts
this may well be an old wives tale, but i have tried it and seems to work...

inflate both new and old tyres to exactly same pressure... straight line, 20-30mph, flat road, no cambers, apply handbrake only, sharply. if it pulls up square you is good.

easily done this time of year with all the ice! he hehe.

(prepares to be shot down in flames :flame:)

I wouldn't pull the handbrake on while moving in a 4wd car that can only apply upto 50% of torque to the front wheels. Can't be good.:chairshot

·
Registered
567 Posts
There is another choice !!
Major Repair the tyre .
Cost me 15 quid the last one .
never had a problem with it - except i did last as long as i wanted ,
MIND YOU NOR DID THE OTHER 3 .... Ha Ha

When i first picked up the Jap Stag , `Fred` , at over 60 mph it kangarood it`s way back from Plymouth to Reading - TURNS OUT IT WAS THE WORN FRONT TYRES fighting via the diff against the average rear tyres , so tyre tread depth dose make a difference to the running .

·
Registered
567 Posts
Apj30 , you can remove and fit a tyre as many times as you like as long as you do not cut or damage the 2 inner rims or beads of the tyre , the square edge is the seal point to the wheel .

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I wouldn't pull the handbrake on while moving in a 4wd car that can only apply upto 50% of torque to the front wheels. Can't be good.:chairshot
i think he means come off the throttle before you apply handbreak

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I think it is a marginal decision. I would take the HPCs advice. However it may be the same price to get all new Bridgestones instead of 2 Dunlops from the dealer.

Paul

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice idea in practice but you will also have to check that the handbrake is giving equal pressure through fluid and pad quality , my 32 had shoes inside the discs on the rear they were only equal in rust !!
On My Jap Stag tis a foot brake . This also became a clutch 1 day when i forgot i was in an auto , the car did not lock up from any corner and only slowed the car a bit , not like the V8 P6 i had for a day , forget was auto again , and found myself going sideways at 80mph down the reading road .

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought this one would split the camp :chuckle:

I would feel more comfortable changing both tyres on the axle, but at £450ish each (from Camskill plus fitting), I am tempted to change just the one.

If the new tread is 8/9mm and the current tread is approx 6mm I am hoping that all should be fine.

Middlehurst advised just changing the one, whereas another "un-named" HPC advised changing all 4 (which they wanted approx £2500 to do)!

Thanks to all that have responded so far. Any other final input from anyone before I take the plunge?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I thought this one would split the camp :chuckle:

I would feel more comfortable changing both tyres on the axle, but at £450ish each (from Camskill plus fitting), I am tempted to change just the one.

If the new tread is 8/9mm and the current tread is approx 6mm I am hoping that all should be fine.

Middlehurst advised just changing the one, whereas another "un-named" HPC advised changing all 4 (which they wanted approx £2500 to do)!

Thanks to all that have responded so far. Any other final input from anyone before I take the plunge?
I have just measured the tread depth on the tyres that came of the car that caused it to kangaroo at a steady constant speed , the difference was 2mm !!!! I could not believe that 2mm would make a difference ! IT DOSE , if you have AUTEC constant 4WD then 2mm dose affect the running . I was a tyre fitter for 5 years and would have recomended just the 1 tyre , BUT , now i have driven and experienced odd tyres i would never recomend that 1 tyre is fitted to a `96 Stagea .
"un-named" HPC was actually totally correct !!! all 4 tyres need to be within 1mm to 1.25

What size tyres have you got that cost so much as i can get 18" tyres from 65 quidish ok budget tyres but some are ok , also try ebay as i got a set of delivery mileage pirelli O`s for 200 inc delivery !!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Change 1, if it feels rubbish, change the other. OR just buy two Bridgestones for the rear and then more Bridgestones when the front Dunlops wear out. Just don't use an HPC with their ridiculous prices!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What size tyres have you got that cost so much as i can get 18" tyres from 65 quidish ok budget tyres but some are ok , also try ebay as i got a set of delivery mileage pirelli O`s for 200 inc delivery !!!

Hi Rasored,

The tyres are the standard Dunlop 20" run-flats fitted to the R35 GTR. Unfortunately £450ish each fitted is actually a pretty good price for them.

Ben.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi Rasored,

The tyres are the standard Dunlop 20" run-flats fitted to the R35 GTR. Unfortunately £450ish each fitted is actually a pretty good price for them.

Ben.
Outch !! if you can get it major repaired or vulcanising , it is a run flat i would get it repaired as the worst that can happen is rapid deflation same as any tyre , but the run flat tyres side walls are greatly reinforced compared to standard tyres givin more support . Think Tiff needel and vpl did a thing on the bmw run flat , might be on you tube . Best thing really is an email to Nissan Japan head office to see if 2 or 4 or 1 tyre is needed . Get it from the Horses mouth rather than a UK dealer ..... we like to think we know

1 - 19 of 19 Posts