GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Sorry, started watching the vid and forgot to say ...

Nice quality vid there.
Why are the cones on circuit.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Were you struggling to keep with him or was it closer then you imagined? I always find it amazing that despite big performance differences (not that the GTR is actually that far behind) that most cars are actually only tenths of a second in difference in a race, and that very often it comes down to reactions, gear selection/change etc. To be fair it didn't seem like you were pushing hard but he seemed to pull away a little near the end on the straight. Great Vid though:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Nice driving... was the Maccer on slicks in spitty rain? :runaway:

Cornering speed wise, the MP4-12C GTR should spank the R35... blimey looks like a 600bhp 'Zilla @ 1900kg two-up can match a 600bhp F1 GTR with downforce at 1200kg one-up? :thumbsup:

Really good driving though... even if you was v. linear and the Maccer driver was very dibby-dabby on the brakes... seemed to be loading and unloading his fronts & rears all the time throught the twisties - obviously nervous of spinners and keeping his distance, lol :nervous:

Good to see you both give it some welly once clear of the slow traffic, i.e. R8s, 911s, Fezzas, etc.!

Still, I'm a rank amateur numptie and have no room to talk whatsoever.... :chairshot

Great vid :clap:

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David have you not pushed your mirror up?
I like to give the impression that it is possible someone could have been catching up with me and I'd need to know! :D

I was tip toeing around (as we all were) trying not to crowd the nice man in the £1.5m car who (like me) had never driven on this greasy wet track before.

The one time he did put his foot down, I was caught napping in 4th gear, but 620lb.ft did a good job of keeping up...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I like to give the impression that it is possible someone could have been catching up with me and I'd need to know! :D

No i actually mean literally pushed it up so you can see better round left hand bends without compromising rear view.

BTW forgot to say. Kid next door asked me to take him to Knockhill if you ever come up!! Pffftt...what's wrong with my car :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No i actually mean literally pushed it up so you can see better round left hand bends without compromising rear view.

BTW forgot to say. Kid next door asked me to take him to Knockhill if you ever come up!! Pffftt...what's wrong with my car :lol:
Don't follow. How can you push the mirror vertically up? I thought the mounting was pretty rigid? For video purposes it would be pretty useful to have a quick release and rely just on the door mirrors on track...

Oh, and get a purple wrap and tell the kid next door I've come to visit! :D

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Don't follow. How can you push the mirror vertically up? I thought the mounting was pretty rigid? For video purposes it would be pretty useful to have a quick release and rely just on the door mirrors on track...
Yup you can push it up! It is pretty rigid, but it does go up!

Oh, and get a purple wrap and tell the kid next door I've come to visit! :D
The kid is so smart on car design. Reads your stuff in Evo or Autojournals . eg he spotted the Blacklines (rear lights) i fitted on my E91 335D saying they were an improvement. But he didn't see me fitting them. I could hardly tell the difference and i knew!

So i doubt he'd be fooled by a wrap of my car!! :D But i liked the idea! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Now that truly is the mutts nutts ... so much presence :bowdown1:

Why oh why such a boring colour line up for the R35s? :flame:

Not that I'm suggesting the "Sumo Pink" look for an R35.... like the F1 GTR! :cool:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks for sharing the vid David & great job!

Check out the speed difference compared to the R8 at 2min7 . . . that's what happens when your down 180bhp and nearly 300lb/ft eh!

That F1 is really hauling arse after you take the 355 but I reckon they would have expected to pull out a bigger gap up to that corner.

Are you still running the Toyo's? Would be great to have seen the same battle on a dry high speed circuit.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for sharing the vid David & great job!

Check out the speed difference compared to the R8 at 2min7 . . . that's what happens when your down 180bhp and nearly 300lb/ft eh!

That F1 is really hauling arse after you take the 355 but I reckon they would have expected to pull out a bigger gap up to that corner.

Are you still running the Toyo's? Would be great to have seen the same battle on a dry high speed circuit.
Yup, very worn R888s now! I was caught napping in 4th, it would have been a lot closer in 3rd, but as I said, I didn't want to spook the driver into spinning off anyway... :nervous:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Andy is a bloody good driver and I'm not surprised he was being sensible in the F1 in those conditions. Only takes one little slip and it would be rather regretful!

Seriously... if it was dry, you would not see which way it went even with your car being as capable as it is. Google his car and you will see what it used to do before becoming a road car. It was ralph Schumachers race car for a few years :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Andy is a bloody good driver and I'm not surprised he was being sensible in the F1 in those conditions. Only takes one little slip and it would be rather regretful!

Seriously... if it was dry, you would not see which way it went even with your car being as capable as it is. Google his car and you will see what it used to do before becoming a road car. It was ralph Schumachers race car for a few years :thumbsup:
Yeah, that would be why it says "Schumacher" on the side of his car! :p

Thing is, on rather dodgy road Michelins, the F1 is not quite as otherworldly as you'd think.

I ran against Mark Hales in Nick Mason's F1 GTR at Brands Hatch a few years ago. I was in my Corvette Z06 on its Goodyear runflats and there was, in Mark's own words, "only about 1 second a lap" in it.

So, yes I expect Andy's car would be quicker than P Zilla, but wouldn't be surprised if it was not by much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts