GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us are in one of two stages - either working through a stage upgrade on our cars, or plotting the next stage. The big number that's at the bottom of "do I need xxx and upgraded xxx, etc", is what whp we want to make. 500 is a lot, but then, when people are making 600-700whp, that feels underpowered :p

So, to put things in perspective....on a Skyline, what kind of whp is required to:

1) do 0-60 in under 4 seconds?
2) run 11s? run 10s?
3) have a car that is equivalent in performance to a Ferrari Enzo or McLaren F1 (in the 0-100mph "real world", not track conditions)
4) whoop any supercar you come across on the expressway?

we just covered the whole 200mph debate, and it looked like the consensus was something like 600hp at the flywheel, given the right aerodynamic and gearing conditions...would just like to see other real world numbers put the whole horsepower thing into perspective. There's a lot more to kicking ass in a Skyline than pulling big numbers on the rolling road....

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The other factor is, the driver, in theroy you may have a car spec'ed or have done time x before but the new driver doesn't have the skill to do it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
After 100 mph Aero efficiency has a huge impact, a subject that isn't talked about too much on here, at least of late. Would love to spend a week in the Mira wind tunnel with a Skyline and a pile of wings and body kits. :)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Dyno numbers really mean nothing, it does not tell you how the car will perform, like you have stated. Not even 1/4 times will tell you a lot, unless you have the mph and 60ft times as well.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dyno numbers really mean nothing, it does not tell you how the car will perform, like you have stated. Not even 1/4 times will tell you a lot, unless you have the mph and 60ft times as well.
well, let's put it this way then: given a competent driver, can a Skyline with, say 550-600hp at the flywheel, run like a Z-tune and beat the snot out of say, a Porsche Carrera GT? :p The Z-tune is quoted with less than 600bhp and yet claims 1/4 mile times in something like 10.8 or 10.9...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I have to say the Z-Tune is UNDER-RATED for sure.

Main reason is the way the turbos spool up.

a GTR with 2.6L and 2530 can get the turbo on full song by 4500.

the Z-tune with 2.8L and "nismo" spec IHI turbo also get on full song around 4500 if not later.

This lead me to believe that the IHI turbo are the same size if not bigger than the 2530. And when it is boosting 1.5bar (standard spec), I cannot see the IHI turbo making less power than the 2530 at 1.5bar, and that is 600PS.

Also, on the Option test when they run the Z-tune against the supercar (M3 CSL, M5, Lamob, etc...) The Z-tune easily over power the lambo on the straight, and at speed to over take a Lambo, you need REAL power!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Anyone got Z-tune lap times from Tsukuba ?? Lots of production car laps, so it would be a good benchmark. Can't see it being faster to the 57 and change for the Mines though !!! :bowdown1:

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Anyone got Z-tune lap times from Tsukuba ?? Lots of production car laps, so it would be a good benchmark. Can't see it being faster to the 57 and change for the Mines though !!! :bowdown1:
There is a video somewhere. It was faster than the 360 CS - the previous production car record holder. Around 1 min dead I think. The Mines car is a different league but then it does cost £200+k.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also, on the Option test when they run the Z-tune against the supercar (M3 CSL, M5, Lamob, etc...) The Z-tune easily over power the lambo on the straight, and at speed to over take a Lambo, you need REAL power!
that was actually BMI, not option (if we're thinking of the same race). and the Z-tune was not actually racing, it was a camera car.

1'00"17 was the time BMI did. it beat the 360-challenge for #1 time. the Mine's car did 57'XX"xx, pretty ****in fast.

on the most recent BMI video, it raced against the STi S204, the Z06 vette, and the Lambo Gallardo. it managed the fastest laptime, but the S204 still came in first.

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
that was actually BMI, not option (if we're thinking of the same race). and the Z-tune was not actually racing, it was a camera car.
Just as well it wasn't racing.:chuckle:

on the most recent BMI video, it raced against the STi S204, the Z06 vette, and the Lambo Gallardo. it managed the fastest laptime, but the S204 still came in first.
There was some sort of handicap in place there that was lost in translation. I think maybe the Z-tune had a hippo in the boot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts