GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else puts their car in neutral when stuck in traffic for a long time? Is this a good practice for preventing wear and tear on the gearbox or does it not matter?

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Yup I do that, I think it has to be better than holding the car in gear and foot on the brake as most gtr's are set to crawl forward slowly if in gear without the gas being pressed so I'd imagine with us holding it back by pressing the brake or using the handbrake can't be good for the clutches or box

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I've done this on all the auto cars I've had, in my head it makes sense because the autobox is always engaged/dragging to a degree hence why when you lift your foot off the break it creeps forward.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I've always done this in auto cars when I'm going to be stationary for more than 10 seconds or so.

Not sure it matters, but I refer not to wait with my foot jammed on the brakes to stop it creeping forward.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
SIAL

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Over on scoobynet people used to post up a picture of a "Scooby in a lake" without having first used the search, so when people posted up without first searching the response was SIAL!

QED

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else puts their car in neutral when stuck in traffic for a long time? Is this a good practice for preventing wear and tear on the gearbox or does it not matter?
I do it only if the wait is getting silly, then end up forgetting and trying to set off in N:chuckle:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
A mate's VW Polo GTi handbook suggest that you do this if the car is to be stationary for a period of time (can't remember exactly what he said but I think that it's 30 seconds). I don't remember reading this in the GT-R manual though ...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have always done it as well.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
will I did it once on a incline, in a traffic jam , handbrake off accelerator and ohhhhhhh shittttttt! Just leave in drive now lol

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yep, always slip it into neutral at a standstill. Even more if I'm approaching stopped traffic I slip into neutral from say 4th and save the gearbox doing 3 unnecessary down changes.

Whatever speed you are coasting at you can simply slot back into drive and the car selects the right gear for the speed.

Satan

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
Looks like I'm the only one who leaves it in drive and keeps their foot on the brake then.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I leave it in drive as well, I assumed the car is clever enough not to engage with the brake applied.
However, come to think of it, isn't there a risk of warping your brake discs by keeping them applied at standstill?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yeah holding the breaks on isn't great when they are hot!
The car won't disengage the clutch completely when at a standstill it will just continue to drag lightly

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Over on scoobynet people used to post up a picture of a "Scooby in a lake" without having first used the search, so when people posted up without first searching the response was SIAL!

QED
LOL careful you'll be getting my reputation soon !!! :chuckle:

BUT I agree with you, the thread was and is old and RTFM for God's sake or just learn howto drive and be sympathetic to your car and gearbox !!:bowdown1:

Oh and you may need to look up RTFM :wavey::chuckle:

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
From the owner's manual:

When stopping the vehicle

Leave the shift lever in the A, M or R position and firmly depress the footbrake pedal.

If the vehicle will be stopped for a long period of time, apply the parking brake and move the shift level to the P or N position as necessary.

But it does not say what is considered a "long period of time". I'd not say waiting at the lights during town driving was a very long time. But the manual implies to me that it's fine to keep it in gear and just press the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
LOL and depends on how long the light is RED for !!

Now read and re read your highway code about what STOPPING your car means and what you should do with the hand brake and gear selection !

1 - 20 of 75 Posts