GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out what the limit of the stock IC is. What sort of power can you get without changing it? Reason being, I'm toying with puting a 33 or 34 one on my 200sx to see how how it compares with the Jap stuff. I'm not going for silly hp, so it may work for a while at least, then I'll bolt a nice Trust one on the car. Might be a good experiment though, in the name of research.

Also, anyone got the dims for the 33 and 34 coolers? and the inlet outlet sizes?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I understand the that it is recommended that you upgrade the I/C after the following power -

low 400's, for the r33 IC (anything above 1.2 bar really on stock turbos)
low 500's for r34 IC (I think it flows 1.2+ bar on HKS25/30's like shins car has)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys. Does anyone know the dims?

501> Cheers mate, I'll consider it. I'm trying to find out if I can get a pipe kit from HKS, use a reducer if ness to make the 33/34 cooler fit and see how good it is on a 200. Then I'll get the HKS core and finish it. I just wanna find out if it can be done like that as it will be a good upgrade for anyone who's just got a 200 and can't afford the IC just yet, but wants to run some decent boost. Long winded I know, but it's all worth it.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
GTR ICs arre pretty popular on Silvias/180s and GT-iRs.

Mine's demo car uses the stock BNR34 I/C and has 600bhp....so I think they are ok!

BTW...I'm selling mine from next month ....;) :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dan,

I've been using some temperature sensing kit recently to see how good my standard intercooler is. My R33 GTR runs 1 Bar and puts out just over 400 bhp.
Here is a link to a graph showing temps at the intercooler inlet and outlet on a flat out run from standstill to over a 100 (on a private airfield, of course ;) )

http://groups.msn.com/CornishSkylines/tempgraphs.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=16

You can see that the inlet temps get quite high (110degreesC) but outlet temps, i.e what is going to your engine is very steady at 20 odd degreesC.
This was done on a warm day, I have readings for temps at the filters amongst other things as you can use up to 8 probes with this device and then graph the results.The ambient temp on the day was around 22degreesC.
From these readings you can see that the standard intercooler is perfectly capable up to at least 1 Bar and 400 horse.
I will get the other graphs up as soon as I can to show other temp readings from different parts of the intake system.

Jez

·
Registered
840 Posts
Dan I've just mounted the R34 GTR IC on mine today, I havent got the pipe work yet, but just wanted to make sure it physically fits, theres a guy on our BB called Andy Bird thats supposed to be sortin some pipework for me an a few others.
I heard the same figures as quoted above for BHP, and even though I doubt I'll see 500bhp, I went for the 34 anyway. east bear do a pipe kit that works out to almost exactly £300 but they did'nt answer my E-mailed question about whether they did 1 specifically for the GTR34 IC on a s14 silvia, so I am going the custom pipework route :) any quessies u know where to find me :)

here it is, cold side points to much towards the water bottle(I'll sort that tho) it was also a complete mare to fit, but not as hard as stickin the battery in the boot:rolleyes:
as u can see, it's feckin massive :D

P.S. cold and hot on the R34 GTR IC are 70mm internal

·
Registered
8 Posts
DCD said:
Mine's demo car uses the stock BNR34 I/C and has 600bhp....so I think they are ok!

BTW...I'm selling mine from next month
What are you planning on getting to replace it?

OT: I see you just updated your site. Nice Evo pics :cool:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I was running stock cooler at 1.2bar

with uprated cams, turbos and jectors plus a few others.
Seemed to cope fine but I guess the bigger cooler is a safety margin and will allow you more room for future mods.
Noticed a bit more lag but not much. Seems to pull harder on the top end runs and more torquier repsonse when u there.

Std I/C was manufactured by CALSONIC and this is a company that is rather large and experienced when it comes to cooling channels. I would imagine they invested a fair amount of time, money, research and effort into the coolers for the GTR project so you can't go wrong. You can't beat the maunfacturers in many repsoects and will more than do the job.

200SXers I thought the R34 cooler had some sort of temp inlet hole for a wire or sth as I looked into putting one on my old GTR but was advised by abbey to go for the 33 one as this is not there. Have you noticed this??

Jeez that std cooler almost looks like an oil cooler. Have also noticed that on big power cossies..their intercoolers are like half even more less than the GTR ones. Any ideas why?? Need less cooling a four pot?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yeah the R34 does have a hole for the temp sensor, it's a 2 min job to blank it, but I might see if I can get a temp sensor with a fast enough refresh rate to be usefull, and mount that instead. :)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Good point.

Might be useful for readings as I know the 34 needs that for the head up display to maesure the intake. Could be useful on the 33 at times but can't have it all I guess.
Cool that you are heads up on this and hope it works for you. Should be some serios cooling going on there.

NLW

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fantastic!

Phil, you kept that secret mate, I had no idea you were already on the case! Nice one.

Cheers everyone else too, that's a great response all round I reckon.

The car's going in to Abbey as soon as their dyno is ready and they're ready for it/her/whatever you call your cars these days:) I'll have a go at it I think.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Got a good price on it, looks really good, safety against det once I take the car to europe(shitty fuel) and I'm also doing the radiator...:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts