GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the general consensus on these for a R32 GTR?

Our car isnt running crazy power (just under 600bhp) but its used 99% of the time on track (circuit). No drag planned, but its done one drag event in 3 years. I've always fancied a sequential and the new price of these seem quite reasonable compared to the likes of an OS sequential.

Do they fail often? Or just when indecisive shifting is done frequently for example
Roughly how long between strip down and service?

There wouldnt be any issues fitting paddle shifts (air) would there?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
How much are they now Adam? I too have always wanted one....

Group Buy....LOL!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got offered an os one for 13k NZ when I got my gearkit ...:)
theres a holinger on t/me for 20k
Is that new? If so that is a good price!

The quaife is listed at around the same (new in UK)

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Adam, yeah I know.
that was when I paid about $4k NZ for the gearkit landed to Auckland / the yen was good in our favour.
But 13k (for an entire brand new gearbox) was still to much.
by the time i got new bearings and few other bits my gearbox was about 5 1/2 k NZ

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
Xtrac built the gearbox for the R34 GTR race cars, almost certainly the best gearbox money will buy.

Be brave and ask for a price. But be sat down...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
SVA run a Quaife Sequential on their 1200 BHP R34. Haven't heard of them breaking it with that power, so I assume your car will be fine at your power level.

It might be worth sending them an email to see what they think of the gearbox :)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Richard Bell from RSP had one for sale a while ago. I'm pretty sure if you ask him he'll be honest about reliability and spares, not from a traders point of view I mean.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
SVA run a Quaife Sequential on their 1200 BHP R34. Haven't heard of them breaking it with that power, so I assume your car will be fine at your power level.

It might be worth sending them an email to see what they think of the gearbox :)
Anyone ever seen that SVA r34 gtr 1200bhp used in anger? i certainty haven't

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a Quaife 6sp sequential. Miles better than the H pattern dog box. I've probably put more miles on it than all the other user put together! Although Malcolm (Blue34) is trying to catch me up.

Still broken it once. Broken splines on input shaft and teeth damage to 4th gear. Was running a bit more than 600hp and using it.

It isn't a bad box, but its far from perfect. Part consequence that it is a parts bin approach. Dodge Viper cluster inside a housing which just fits a GTR.

Hollinger, maybe the strongest, but seriously expensive and can be nightmare for parts this end of the world.

Xtrac. Not for road use they will tell you, and they mean it, and expect to cough at least £15k.

Ricardo do the Veyron gearbox, don't think they have a 'fit' for GTR. It also would be more expensive than Xtrac!

If you want 6sp you might seriously want to think about fitting a Getrag. If want sequential, hand deep in pocket!

DaveG

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Adam, I know where there is a refurbished quaife 6sp H pattern dog box if you are interested in trying that first? It's in a standard housing, cannot remember if it has a transfer box attached, might also have standard size input shaft too.

PM me for details.
DaveG

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
up...

We've knackered another standard 5sp and are planning more power for 2011.

Any more comments on Quaiffe Sequentials?

I need to check a few things first though, and check that the driver (my wife) will be ok with using it LOL

Normal use...

Clutch in for 1st, lift throttle and firm pull back for second, repeat 3/4 etc etc

going down gears? just the same but obv forward?

Flat shift - a pressure switch, or switch to kill ignition to 'release' gear?

Paddle shifters- this would be the aim!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts