GTR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
back again...

Think we've smashed another gearbox so really want to get this area improved!

Will contact Tracktive AB again.

Going back to earlier comments about SVS (not SVA) being the sole distributer of Quaife 6sp sequentials... is that true? If so... what are the Gearbox Man ones?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
My Tractive has been 100% reliable, best thing I have bought in years, stripped it over the winter, just buttoned it up again with new seals, couldn't fault it. If I needed another RWD box it would definitely be the only one I'd consider other than a Hewland. Anything within the stock case is a HUGE compromise, the gear centres are too close and there's nothing can be done about it.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
It will be interesting to hear what Tracktive have to say Adam, I am still going to have to change to a gearbox to handle a bit more than the std one.....And I'm loathed to spend 7K on just a gearset.

Chris, How suitable would your gearbox be for the street....Too noisy?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Adam, I always recommend *ANYONE* buying a high end *ANYTHING* does a quick and dirty test. Ring Vendor "X" (Quaife in your case) and see if they have a few potentially commonly needed bits on the shelf, say dog rings, a few random gear ratios, a couple of selector forks and a sequential barrel selector. Bits that are probably unique to that box, and you could need at any time, in a hurry. Throw in a couple of castings, too. If they haven't got them ask how long before they have, and at what cost. If you do the same for any high end car items like dampers, engines, clutches, diffs, blah blah, you can easily weed out the potential nightmare, even boat anchor buys from those that could be repaired without either breaking the budget or waiting 12 months / forever for bits. I apply i to anything over a grand, and the test has saved me a LOT of grief, and caused a lot of amusement. I thank my late father for the tip, he was a canny old *ugger, who used the test on white goods, car bits, electronic gear etcetera.

Tracktive will be amazingly good, as will, to a lesser degree, Hewland, let us know re Quaife ;) I can guess the results though.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Adam, as I think I've said to you before, wouldn't touch a trust (quaife) H pattern dog box with a 6ft barge pole. Was fed up rebuilding mine every 3000miles. Thing was great for about the first 500 (road) miles and then would decline until something would give way by 3000miles. Mind you was trying to put over 800BHP through it! Tim @ SVS gives sound advice, parts are also not readily available either.

Sequential from Quiafe is a completely different can of worms. Although by no means perfect, and has lots of wasted space inside (could get 8 gears in), it does seem to last/hold up much, much better. Of course the Holinger is in a class of its own, but at twice the price it should be! You also get the benefit with holinger of having gears to choose from too, quiafe is viper kit and that's it.

I think Marcus moved from quaife to holinger and it does definitely change sweeter. Quiafe unit can get a bit flaky on 4th, but if you have a electro-paddle shift system fitted it generally seems to be bob on. You could have tried mine at TOTB if I hadn't broke the engine.........

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was still running the quaife at TOTB but my paddle shifter cant time in with it and it chips dogs every 5 mins so I was manual shifting, lower power, pure drag or road the Quaife is spot on but for my car it isnt really up to the task. My Hollinger arrives next week :)

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
****in 'ell Marcus LOL

We've just taken the plunge and gone for a genII OS88 sequential.

What paddle shift are you running? ProShift / Geartronics?

I think we might just start off with a geartronics 'easyshift' flatshift ECU.

Any tips for generally getting used to a sequential on track (initially without flatshift, auto blip etc). Upshifts should be simple enough - slight lift, positive pull on lever 'clunk' WOT again.

Downshifts? Will be clutched to start with but any tips on technique for preserving the gears?

On another tangent - What drysump do you guys use?

·
Registered
396 Posts
paddle shift is from R53 Engineering, but is controlled by the main syvecs ECU now. We do have a proshift flatshifter as well but never did use it.

The dry sump is a Ross Performance kit, seems to work pretty well the piping is a bitch but that is the same with any system I guess.

I would say that the best way to protect the gearbox is Paddle shift , but next best is blipped down and flat upshifts.

This is one of the runs from sunday with me manually shifting the quaife.

·
Registered
396 Posts
... and what are you doing with the ProShift system you arent using :)

Any links to the Ross Performance stuff? Is that the EVO bunch?
Guess we will sell the proshifts kits on, Ross is Aussie bunch they do balancers and dry sumps and all sorts, email me for more details on that though.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts