GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of planning some mods for my '12 GTR. So far planning to order a 3"5 Y pipe with 3" downpipes (will keep the rear end stock for now). Also 1000CC Bosch injectors and am interested in a COBB Access Port which leads me to this question: will this set-up allow me to install the parts and program the ECU myself, without needing to put it on a dyno? Will it enable me to program in the cat-delete when I install the Ypipe+downpipes?

Grateful for any feedback! Thanks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Unless things have changed, their is no need to get the car mapped with a dyno nearby. Saying that it would be advisable but not essential.

Kind of depends who's tune/code you're planning on using? Once the hardware changes have been made, gather some data on the CoBB & email over to your tuner, they'll then use their knowledge/skill to write the most suitable code & email that back to you. Then simply upload the new files to the car using the CoBB.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
COBB offer an "off the shelf" map that will take those mods in to account, this will give you a good starting base, you need to tweak from there.

Rolling road isn't required, thats what the open road is used for, you'll also get a better map on the road. As said above you can flash the base map, do a load of logging and then have a mapper mod it and send it back to you, flash it up and do some more logging.

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
I think the OP needs some clarification here.

When you install an accessport onto a car you yourself are not programming the ECU as such but are installing a generic "off the shelf" map created by Cobb.

There are some important points to remember here.

Firstly a generic map is made to cover as many variations of hardware as possible and as such errs on the side of caution. That said you will never know how safe your OTS map is unless you datalog and have it checked by an experienced tuner.

You'll either end up with a lower level of tune or even worse an unsafe one.

In my opinion as soon as you add downpipes (increases turbo spool and gas flow) and/or injectors (increases fuel flow) you should use a bespoke mapping service to not only get the most bang for your buck but also to ensure the tune is safe for your engine.

Don't cut costs on the most important part of your upgrading since a bad tune can cost you your engine.

Do it right and get a proper map created for your car using road logging under real conditions.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I'm in the process of planning some mods for my '12 GTR. So far planning to order a 3"5 Y pipe with 3" downpipes (will keep the rear end stock for now). Also 1000CC Bosch injectors and am interested in a COBB Access Port which leads me to this question: will this set-up allow me to install the parts and program the ECU myself, without needing to put it on a dyno? Will it enable me to program in the cat-delete when I install the Ypipe+downpipes?

Grateful for any feedback! Thanks
There is a OTS map for the upgrades you are looking at - except it is for id1000cc injectors and 3" intakes - i do agree with the above post that you will be down on power compared to a custom map by a tuner but it will give you a good increase over stock - if you wanted to tune the car yourself you would need to buy access tuner race software from COBB

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the advice, this makes things clearer. I just ordered the Cobb Accessport and am looking forward to getting started with it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts