GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what lurks behind these rear sideskirt vents on a genuine Nismo 400R??:confused:

I'm curious to find out if the bottoms of the Skyline OE rear quarter panels were chopped up or modified in some other way to make these sideskirt vents functional for cooling the cars rear brakes? If so, what was done exactly?? And...was it at all effective?

I'd like to think that these do in some way work and are not just there for cosmetic purposes. I've scanned "ye-olde-interweb" for a while now and have been unable to find the answer.

Please help if ya can folks, Cheers!:bowdown1:

·
Administrator
31,758 Posts
It's a good question and one we were having yesterday about my skirts. Be interested to know the answer.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's truly spooky Mook!:chuckle:

Every other vent or spoiler on the Skyline GT-R seems to have a proper function and has been spoken about in detail in either dedicated GT-R books or Skyline specific forums, Yet I can find absolutely bu66er all about the functionality of these Nismo sideskirt vents....:eek:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
There would have to be some serious modification to the sills and inner wheel wells if it is functional.
Would be nice to find out.
I looked into doing it while my shell was stripped bare, but it just didn't look worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of your replies!:cool:

There would have to be some serious modification to the sills and inner wheel wells if it is functional.
Would be nice to find out.
Agreed! My thoughts exactly Mr RJT....:)

I looked into doing it while my shell was stripped bare, but it just didn't look worth it.
After seeing the length Nissan went into creating the front functional brake ducts that sit behind the GT-R's splitter, Such mods on the rear of our vehicles can only have a similar good effect improving the cars braking reliability IMHO.

Maybe cooling the rear brake calipers (via such sideskirt ducting) so that they remain at a constant temperature would possibly have the same effects as going for a slightly larger disc where it comes to continuous braking reliability and braking performance??

Surely there is a die-hard Nismo enthusiast here who knows the answer to this question and can finally put us out of our misery?!:nervous:

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do the rear brake need cooling though?
Yes, they really do need cold air to work effectively Mook! That is why some manufactures add plastic trims to parts of the cars rear suspension components to deflect cold air to the cars rear brakes to keep them functioning effectively.

Without this kind of simple ducting, (I'm specifically talking about when Lotus Cars LTD modified Carlton GSi 3000 24v's to become Lotus Carlton's now as it a similar age to our Skylines) Very basically...The rear brakes had to increase their size from 280mm to a slightly larger 300mm and also these became vented items instead of remaining solid discs as per the original GSi's to retain the modified cars braking efficiency even with the new increased twin turbo's versions extra performance.

This extra brake component engineering can be very costly to both vehicle manufacturers due to extra tooling (and the vehicle owners too due to limited supply/demand) so if their existing OE brake caliper set ups on a popular model can cope with an increase in performance by adding a few small deflecting spoilers or vents here or there....then the engineering bods will do it instead of going for bespoke larger components to keep the company bean counters happy.

Sorry for the long winded reply here but I HTH!

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've not got access to Nissan's FAST but would this electronic parts catalogue cover a rare model such as the Nismo 400R?

Thinking outside the box here now, It might possibly be a resource to see if there are any extra ducting present or modifications to the rear sills/quarters. Sorry to keep on here but....

Both of the Alex and Dennis Gorodji Nissan GT-R books state: said:
New skirts, with an aperture on the rear of the car, prevented (partially, of course) the movement of air under the car, kept the laminar air along the body, and directed more air to the rear brakes.
So, if the front splitter got these behind it to aid brake cooling :-

Surely the rears on the Nismo 400R had something very similar indeed matched to the vents on their improved sideskirts to do the same function!:eek:

Someone on here must know the answer?!:bowdown1:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Here is a link to a dealer in Japan who is trying to sell one. He has photos of various parts of the car, including the delicious dry carbon fiber bonnet. Notably, look at the photos from underneath the car, of the rear link and axles. I see no tubing of any kind to suggest that air was being routed back there.
Prostock 400R

Click on the photos to scroll through.

Also, there is one photo that shows the rear duct in question. I think you can see day light.
Much like in this shot (3rd photo down) from my blog:
One Man's Lonely Adventures In His R33 Skyline GT-R: New Look for 2013

Next time I see one here I'll take a look.

Aki

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your reply and the link above Aki! That Prostock 400R for sale is simply stunning matey!:)

I also hope you get to see a 400R in the flesh and soon too, So you can put us all out of our misery for good regarding these vented Nismo sideskirts.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
31,758 Posts
Here is a photo from my genuine trust/400r skirts. If you can imagine the back or the camera is facing the rear wheel. Thee is a gap beneath the bottom of the sill and the skirt which allows air to pass through. Whether ducting is added I couldn't say but there would definetly be additional airflow based upon this gap

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for that pic Mook!:)

This is exactly why I've been asking if the bottoms of the rear sills/quarter panels were modified by Nissan on the Nismo 400R, To basically allow for far more room for additional ducting to the rear brakes.

If not then any additional piping/duct would hang lower than the cars OE steel sill and must be prone to premature damage, getting ripped off by sleeping policemen or any other potential road hazzards??

·
Administrator
31,758 Posts
I could easily add a duct from this vent to the rear brakes without it hanging down or fouling.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Mook, I took my geniune plastic 400R skirts off and wanted to know if you have to use glue to put them back on?

It has clips but the gap when fitted is alot and when I took them off they had been glued on in some areas

They are undamaged, no cracks nothing, but the gap at the rear looks abit too much or is it just me?

·
Administrator
31,758 Posts
Here's a better picture of mine during it's restoration. You can see the bottom of the skirt and the Sill as well as the brake calliper. I'm not sure ducting would be needed as the airflow through here would be forced straight towards the rear brakes.

What do you think?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts