GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm grateful for all the help you have provided over the past couple of weeks. You'd all be glad to know I bought one last week. :)

I have a few more questions and I would be very grateful if anyone would take the time to answer them.

1. I currently have a NISMO backbox and centre section with a HKS induction kit. I have been told that by removing the cat and replacing my downpipe with a sports one will increase boost to 1.4bar, a figure they say is very dangerous to the turbo and engine. Is this true?
  2. What is the most popular exhaust system for the R34 in the UK? Are there generally differences in power and noise between them?
  3. Who are the best tuners in the UK for the R34?
  4. Has ANYONE got the TV working? :)
    [/list=1]

Again, many thanks for your help.

Cem

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Welcome !

AHHH Blowdog you've finally arrrived from Scooby world. Its a very different life over here I can say.

I can't answer your questions as unfortunately I have only had my 33 for a month. She has just gone down to Abbey Motorsport (Oxsted) for bigger brakes, new springs and HKs IC all on recommendations on this BBS and they seem top blokes.

See you soon may be, I trust you will still keep in touch with Scooby net and the SIDC?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Hi there,

Congratulations on the purchase!! I bet you are very happy with it! Nice color too;) :D

By replacing the front pipes and the cat you will reduce back pressure enabling the turbo to run a t higher boost levels. Nismo in Tokyo said a safe level with the stock ceramics is 1.05...which I suspect means around 1.1 for scramble. At the same time of fitting the rest of the exhaust you should install a boost controller and have it set up to the desired level.

As for exhausts, most people over there tend to go for either HKS, Trust or Blitz...the bigger companies. Now that Mines parts are oficially imported into the UK by ProSpec I can only recomend their products as being the best quality....which is why I'm fitting a full Mines exhaust in the next weeks. Have a chat with Shin at prospec and have a look at their titanium system....it sounds amazing and is very well constructed.

For tuners & TV in the UK....you better wait for peeople that live there to comment:)

All the best

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi Welcome to the word of Skyline:D :D

I have a R33 so it not me either!

Some tipps you should think about Blanking Number Plates when posting pic's!!

Tony at Abbey is possible the best person to answer your questions!!

Stick to one tunning house do not move around it will course you lots of problems

Joss has been through all the things you are talking about so a good person to chat with!

have a read of some of the treads in the tunning section I think you find them very handy as there are a number of people looking at doing things to there R34's right now!

Well Wecome to the world of Skyline

Bruce

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Security

I agree with the number plate about blanking.
But nice garage does it have heating for the winter :confused:
I also am a 33 man but do speak to Joss and a few tuning companies before you make the decision on what to buy.
Happy skylining :D
Why don,t you come along to the Dyno Day on the 20th Oct and speak to a few people, you could even run the car on the Dyno and see what she does.
Hope to see you there
Best regards

·
Banned
349 Posts
Answers.......

Well done for buying a real car!

Tony and Mark at Abbey are your best bet. I've done business with them for a while and they are top guys. You can even get a replacment run around if you give them some notice.

If you put in the down pipes and non cat, the exhaust will be so free flowing that the turbo's will over boost (like Joss's car at the moment). To stop this a small restricter can be put in the cat replacment pipe which increases back pressure slightly and stops the problem. Abbey have the part and know exactly what to do (cost approx £50 plus fitting).

You can't run the stock turbo's at 1.4 bar period unless you wish to lighten yourself of large sums of money! The only way to run 1.4 is to have hybrid turbo's installed and increase the fueling by using 600cc injectors and moding or replacing the fuel pump. Along with this you'll have to do alot of other stuff like intercooler, oil cooler, spark plugs, cams (optional) metal head gasket ect.

Give me a buzz for more info my fingers are hurting!

07771-535653

regards

Jamie

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Blow dog,

a little off-topic....but have you noticed you parked in front of a building with the number 23??? Ni-San!!:D

Coincidence???

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Nice

Nice car Blow Dog. Stopped smiling yet have we ;) .

Looks like that photo is taken in the city ? whereabouts ?

Maybe meet up for lunch one day. Met Guy last week at Canary Wharf for lunch before he jetted off to the USA. Guess what we chatted about ;) .

See Ya.

Glen.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Photo shoot!

T6KYO that photo was taken in a side road just behind Deutsch Bank oppesite the old NW tower. I walk up that cut thru every morning and thought it rung a bell!

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
w00p

Hay all,

Thanks a lot for the replies. Some great answers but I'm still confused.

If I were to go ahead and decat my pipe and change my downpipe then it seems i will be overboosting. In order to fix this, I either have to fit a boost controller or place a restrictor within my backbox. Does anyone agree that the boost controller is the safest option from these?

It's interesting to hear that the standard ceramic turbo's are only good for 1.1 bar. In my current tune (NISMO backbox and centre with HKS Induction) I have already seen 1.06 bar on the MFD. From what you are saying, I am unlikely to see any performance gain by taking the cat out because I'm gonna have to compensate by restricting it. Which leaves me with the question, what's the point? (apart from the noise :))

I have called Abbey Motorsport and have also discussed the Middlehurst 400 upgrade. Does anyone have any comments with regards to the Middlehurst 400 upgrade? Seems pretty good value, but do I really need cams and pulleys changed at this stage?

Regardless, I'm desperate for a downpipe and decat, whatever the advice for this, I am most grateful.

With regards to the photo, top marks for the guys with sharp eyes! Yes, it's Deutsche Bank head quarters (I work there). It was a Saturday and I needed to pick up some documents and the place was a ghost town. I just took some pictures because it looked so good there! You guys who are local (Ian and Glen et all) should <a href="mailto:[email protected]"> email me</a> at work for lunch soon. That would be ace.

The car is absolutely fabulous, I am still grinning and every day is a chore, the wait to get home from work is too much! It really is that good. (Ian, ask Scott Davis what he thought, I took him out last night).

Cheers all,

Cem

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DCD,

oooh eeeh ooh eeeh (scarey music sound)

:D

I actually asked a Japanese guy once if Nissan actually meant 1-2. He said it wasn't true. I wonder :)

I actually spoke to Shin at Prospec, such nice people. I really had a wonderful time talking to them, so enthusastic and keen. I look forward to their R34 Mines demo car arriving next month. I am interested in this £2.5k Titanium Mines exhaust. OOh yeah!

:D

Cem

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Blow dog....its actually 2-3;) ...and Nissan means something else....although they always use 23 on their racing cars

The Mine's VX titanium is sweet!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exhaust

Cem
You WILL see a significant increase in performance if you decat, remeber you are looking at peak boost on your mfd, not the holding boost. With your current setup you will probably only be holding 0.9bar. Each car will vary but you will find that after decat your car will peak at around 1.3- 1.4 bar, but will hold around 1.1 bar. Now I don't know of the exact figures for bhp increase per 0.2 bar but I think it safe to say you will probably hike the power by a good 30bhp or so. A boost controller will obviously allow you to determine a higher boost setting while controlling peaks.
Go on Cem you know you want to................
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know Abbey get good reports, but don't overlook Middlehursts.

IMO, they are the kiddies with respect to Nissan/Nismo parts - and anyone who's been to their workshops will have seen what a professional setup they have. (Not to mention having prepared race Skylines for donkeys years)

Cheap ? No.

Yer pays yer money.

FWIW: I've recently had my UK Skyline upped to 400bhp (Stage 2 upgrade) which peaks at 1.22 bar - and holds around 1.1 bar (standard turbos)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is Middlehurst not in the Liverpool area?

Which you'll find nice and local living in London!
Assumptions are dangerous things..

Middlehurst have a full time crew of guys whizzing around the UK with a low-loader. If you want any work done on your car, they'll collect it from your door and return it ASAP.

Which is in fact far more convenient that travelling to your local "tuner".

Middlehurst collected my car Tuesday evening, left me with a courtesy car, performed the 1st service, added the 400 upgrade (cams/exhausts etc), and returned it first thing on Thursday morning fully valeted. Top service I say.

You pay the same price whether you take the car to them or they collect it. :D

(and the work is warranted by Nissan/Middlehurst)

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Hold boost is 0.93 on the 34 with about 1.10 peak. As Steve said the boost controller smooths out peaks and allows for a more controlled boost curve.

Blow dog.....no cat = more music not noise!!;)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

Cams to make 400bhp on an RB26 ?

Also you get nothing for free in this life so if you do take the car to them you are paying transporter costs in their somewhere?

Read the old posts re Garages. Makes interesting reading.

glen.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Middlehurst

True Glen, when i enquired about sevicing they said about the pick up/drop off service and told me it would add £200 to my bill.
Andy said it depends on how far the loader has to travel.
Makes sense i suppose :D

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
One more thing(2)

Forgot to mention that AbbeyMotorsport ("tuner") do work for Middlehurst which I think makes for a good relationship.

Oh by the way talking of race cars have you seen the full-race 34 at Abbey's. Oh gorgeous. Definetly want one.

Personal choices. Don't like Anchovies or Peanut Butter so make my choices based on my own experiences. Mmmm Duff.

glen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts