GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I'm just trying to install an old 56k modem of mine into a neighbour's computer but Windows XP can't find suitable drivers?!!

It keeps asking to connect to the Internet to search for some, but obviously this isn't possible.

Looking closely at the modem itself there is no f*cking way you can decipher the manufacturer, so a driver search on my computer is going to be difficult.

Are there any generic 56k modem drivers available that will get this card working until i can actually download a more suitable one once it identifies itself?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It should be possible to use a generic Hayes 28.8k driver, however it may limit the speed to 28.8k until you find the correct driver.
Alternatively you can use Hyper Terminal to talk directly to the COM port and use the ATi7 command to get the modem to tell you what it is.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a PCI modem i had originally with my comp that ran Windows 98se, so even finding the old driver disk would have been no use, LOL.

Don't worry, the neighbours have been and splashed out a fiver for a new modem so it'll be a doddle to sort.

Thanks for the help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts