GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having acquired a goodly stock of Skyline engine bits over the years I suddenly realised that I wouldn't need much more stuff to build a spare engine for my R33 GTS-t. I bought some forged pistons and forged Tomei rods, some new valve springs and I already had some Apexi cams. I also had a suitable Garrett ball bearing turbo and a new HKS cast manifold. I did a basic head refresh with freshly cut seats, 4 new guides and a valve lap. I made a wastegate adaptor for a Tial wastegate I had. Not an exotic build, just a quick nailing together of parts to build a spare motor, but thought some of you might want to see it. Should make about 450 BHP with good torque. Put it together with a spare loom on it, a spare PAS pump and it will have a spare alternator and fan on it, so I can swap it over quickly.

IrfanView HTML-Thumbnails

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
great detailed pictures :D

Don't know why, but I like looking at things like this. I must be sad...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Whats with the the design of the wastegate adaper?

I think l may have seen something like this on the hks versions.

Does it help with cooling?...think its an exellent bit of machining.

Like to hear more info on this please and if you have a spare one that happens to be lying around, may be interested in taking it off your hands.:thumbsup:

p.s many thanks for the Inconel egt sensor kit for my build.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the HKS wastegate with the manifold, but the turbo I used had a lot more flow than the one in the original kit, so I needed a higher flowing `gate. I decided to use a different `gate, so had to make a bespoke adptor. The fins get rid of some useless heat, and I had big piece of stainless to use.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just read the rest, sorry, the adaptor is a one off, and took ages to make, just a bit of fun really.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
No worries, chris.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't make the plenum 'front-entry' as I'm sure you'll be using an FMIC.
Oh and on the oil-pump I now don't use a gasket - just nissan 'red' sealant, every thou of extra depth is worth having imho.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is just a back up engine as I missed a load of track driving 18 months ago when an engine failed. I dodn't want to get too carried away, and had the I/C to plenum piping made up already. I don't have facilities to bend tube, do kept as much of that sort of stuff from the earlier engine that blew up.

Do you have any issues with oil leakage, as the gasket (and oil pump pressure port) sees full oil pressure. I agree with gaining as much drive depth as possible. I'll consider that for the next build, cheers. Of course, I SHOULD have made a full depth drive dog for the early crank, but again, was keeping it simple!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I do not have the facility to host pics so I can't show you what I mean re. the plenum - although it is quite a popular mod 'down under', I have no problems with mine running 500-ish+ bhp even with 6 extra injectors mounted in it.
And same for the oil pump, 6 months on this build, zero problems, my best yet...
I have a theory that in the past my limited budget caused me to use 2nd hand ball-bearing turbo's, in hindsight I think they ALL leaked a small amount of oil from the seals into the inlet causing me odd DET problems - now I'm using an old-skool T70 plain bearing turbo that was new, I have had NONE of the problems I was plagued with on previous builds.
It's done a full track day with 2 drivers and about 12k miles now, just been out in it and it feels fresh, powerful, rattle and DET free.
Of course it's been a learning curve and I have done many small things to keep it 'stable' but I do think leaky turbo seals has in the past been my main problem - even though it never noticeably smoked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts