GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a great weekend although not everything went to plan, the weather was great and we had the new rear wing to try, 5 comp cars were pre-entered so we thought we'd have a field to race.

Arrived at the track on Saturday for qualifying, setup in the comp area and there were only 2 other cars :confused::confused: 2 cars from down south had pulled out at the last minute and without a field of at least 4 cars we can't race in comp, claim full race points, we don't get trophies or prize money and we'd just travelled a long way to get there WTF??:bawling::bawling:

After a quick chat with officials they said it would be decided if "the field" was big enough or not big enough AFTER qualifying in case someone else turned up and they confirmed that we could claim NZ records during qualifying even if we didn't "race" on Sunday :smokin: cool, we'll carry on then.........

The strip was an airfield, much the same as TOTB, not ideal, but its flat and smooth and we'd all be on the same surface on the same day so its all fair.

We installed the wing, put a very small amount of angle on it, put in a pretty soft tune and went out for our first round of qualifying....pretty slippery but not too bad........took the win with a 8.02 @ 167mph :squintdan

2nd round of Qualifying....gave it a little more rear wing and a little more boost from mid track on.....took the win with a 7.82 @ 170mph :squintdan but I felt something strange going on with my helmet from about 300 meters out:confused::confused:

3rd round of qualifying, we got a little greedy as we knew it would be our last chance that weekend to backup or beat the 7.8 to claim a NZ record, tried to give it too much off the line, red lit (which doesn't actually matter in qualifying anyway) with a RT of -0.084, absolutly shocking 60ft of 1.298 then on to a 8.02 @ 175.25 to his 8.32 @ 166mph and once again my helmet was literally being lifted off my head from about 300 meters out to the point I couldn't see the finish line:confused::confused:.

I had to put my left hand on the chute lever at about 1/2 track, make sure I was lined up nice, then as the chin area of the helmet came up and covered my eye's, I'd count 1,2, pull the chute, then use my left hand to pull the helmet back down so I could see again, what a rush doing 175mph without being able to see!!!

So we qualified No1 but there were still only 3 of us, neither of the other guys had arrived :bawling::bawling:

One guy packed up and went home, and the other said he stick around for Sundays racing and race us heads up for some practise, suited me fine :thumbsup: In the 1st round he melted his wiring and couldn't continue so I ran on my own the rest of the day.

Based off the 3 qualifying runs, after I was weighed (955kg (310kg over minimum weight ffs!!) I was able to claim the NZ records for ET and MPH for DD/D with the 8.02 and the 170mph (the 7.8 and the 175mph didn't count because they wern't backed up within 1 % so the slower ET and MPH counts with the quicker ET and higher MPH being the backup.)

Long story but 4 of us slept in the trailer at the track, didn't get much sleep and woke up cold and damp from overnight due, never mind it was another beautiful day and we were looking forward to some good runs.

We concluded that seeing as the wing was directly above my head, the low pressure it was generating under the wing was actually trying to suck my helmet off my head. :smokin: at least we knew the wing was working, lol.

Did 4 more runs on Sunday, all of them with no visibility from about 300 meters but the car ran dead straight in the top end every run so when I'd pulled the chute and pulled my helmet back down I was still in my lane, lol.

7.94 @ 173.14
7.68 @ 176.89
7.65 @ 175.02 and getting greedy off the line again....
7.90 @ 171.92

Super smooth Jason completly unaware he was getting his "head polished".......Crew member Spook is real good like that :)

Spook, Brad and Jason:

Me, Brad and Jason:

Massive thanks to LINK for sponsering the new rear wing, once we can keep my helmet on my head I'm sure its going to help get us much closer to the 6 second zone.

I'll sort out some video's shortly.....

Robbie.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well that shows the wing is working if its sucking the helmet off your head!

Any ideas on how to stop it happening again?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
lol, well if your lucky rob it should stretch you out a bit and make you a bit taller!

Maybe you need to fit a mini spoiler to your helmit ?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
i want a wastegate that sounds like that!

wouldnt mind the engine to go with it either :p haha

good man robbie, my sis is going out to nz next month, may have to jump in her suitcase and come to drool over your work!

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose it never crossed your mind to drink less beer? :flame:
I use to be over 1000kg mate!!! I've lost 45 and only have 310kg to go, hahaha.

Cool videos :thumbsup:

The car seems to run a lot straighter with that wing, not drifting the way it used to at times. Is that cos of the wing or the power turned down?
We were very gentle off the line due to lack of grip, the best we could get to 1/2 track was 3 10ths and 8mph SLOWER than we normally run at Meremere but with the wing we were much more stable and it took a little more boost from 1/2 track (hence the highest ever mph for this car of 176.89)

Combining what we normally run to 1/2 track at Meremere with the 2nd 1/2 of what we did over the weekend, it looks like we "might" be in for around 7.20 @ 180 before long, here's hoping:D, only problem is, the next meeting which is this weekend is DYO and we find a 7.50 to 7.60 tune is best for that kind of racing.

Robbie.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I take it that DYO isn't short for 'drink your own', cos only the tight-arsed Aussies won't share their beer!!

joke :chuckle:

7.2 is gonna be good to watch. What kind of time would you expect to run to crack 200 mph?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I might be in for a shock when I get back to Meremere as Masterton was just sooooo smooth and sooooo flat its a bit premiture to presume the wing alone made it run so straight and true.

The data clearly shows our rear wheel speed is now considerably slower relative to the front wheel speed and we picked up a little boost in the top end with no changes so that would indicate the engine is working a little harder too, both great signs.

When we first started we thought 200mph would come before the 6 but now I'm not so sure, both will be very hard to get and both are still a long way off, but if I was a betting man, I'd say the 6 will come first and be at around 188-190mph.

Only time will tell......
Robbie

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Ahhh, I never knew the strip was that good compared to the roller coaster you also race on.

Is Masterton the racing circuit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts