GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took the new FED to Meremere for licencing passes and 1 gentle test run.

The FED (Front Engined Dragster) has a fully water cooled, streetable RIPS RB30 in it, its the actual motor from the world record holding 240z, its been cleaned and re-painted only, we didn't even change the spark plugs or oil so this motor has done ALOT of hard work over the last 2 years.

I had to sit a new unlimited licence as it was a new type of car for me, On the licencing passes your not allowed much power off the line and you must coast past 1/2 track, I'd also never driven anything like this before so I was quite nervous and more than happy to take it very easy :nervous::nervous:

Licencing passes:
10.1 @ 105.86mph
9.26 @ 123.56mph
9.25 @ 136.29mph

The track record for my class (DD/D) is 9.2 and the NZ record is 9.02 so we were pretty happy with the licencing passes.

I was then allowed to do a soft run and go further than 1/2 track if I was comfortable, I tried but it was real slippery and I got into trouble at just before 1/2 track, backed off and coasted through with an 8.87 @ 138.88mph :clap:

Here's some pix:

We can even drive it back from the runs :D

More testing this weekend then its on to the NZ Nationals (biggest 2 day drag meeting of the year) where I'll be put in with the big boys with their blown alky big block dragsters :nervous::nervous:

Rob

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
looks awesome mate, well done! :)

good luck for the nationals!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You are absolutely nuts mate :thumbsup: love it :cool:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Nice one Rob - seems strange to see you sat in the fresh air in your new convertible :cool:;)

car looks great & your usual great attention to detail :cool:

Good luck with it over the next few months mate :thumbsup:

so so jealous of you now whilst we get into winter over here :shy:

·
Registered
50 Posts
what's it like driving that thing..

good luck on getting advice, who has an engine that puts out power in that kind of curve with a fed??

awesome stuff from rips; if I ever hear of reliability of the rb30 like you speak of @ rips, I might decide that rb30 vs the 2jz-gte for a swap

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well done Rob.

No half track burnouts??? :cool:
Only on 1.2 bar on these runs so not quite enough torque to smoke the big slicks in top gear even to the start line :chairshot:chairshot, quick adjustment to boost and we'll be fine from now on I think.

Rob

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Very cool man, awesome to see it alive and well. It looks like it means business alright, looking forward to seeing how it goes when driven in anger. I'm definitely going to have to try and make it to a meet this is running at!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Looks awesome, great work Rob. Looking forward to seeing more from the beast, not to mention a lot more videos! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few more pix from the first day's testing:

Over the scales to be weighed, ended up being nearly 300kg over the minimum required weight for my class :eek:

Off for more testing on Sunday and we've found a couple of things we've changed that should help improve the handling (fingers crossed, lol)

I'd like to be able to run dead straight mid to low 8s before the Nationals in 2 weeks, here's hoping we sort it.

Rob

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Rob, do you EVER drive in a straight line up the strip? Are you a closset drifter?

Seriously good luck to you, try and keep it between the lines and off the wall. Excellent build as per usual, car looks good and sure the alky guys are in for a shock or two.

DaveG

1 - 20 of 39 Posts