GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

**newbie alert**

Just to say 'ello, and introduce the car I've been creaming myself over for the past year. I'm not a newbie to the car scene in general - aside my Xantia, I own two DeLoreans - one a show car and the other a fixer-upper. However although fun, it's still a classic and performance-wise can't hold a candle to this baby...

http://www.cix.co.uk/~mgutkowski/sisky.jpg

The owner is a really good mate of mine and he's basically waiting for me to come up with the cash to buy it. He finally let me drive it a couple of months ago and I had to have the grin surgicaly removed from my face three days later. He bought it from Nissan Motorsport Europe about 6 years ago. It was a parts car that was never used in 1986 when it was brough over from Japan in full race spec. Registered in 1988 it is one of two believed to be on the road in the UK. As far as I know (limited knowledge) it is the original inspiration for the GT-R, and is one of a run of 800 Nismo Homogolation special GTS-X's.

We have no idea what it puts out, but in race form it exceeded 500hp. It's RWD with an early HICAS system, a garrett T4 running 16psi normally, but adjustable (via variable valve in the cockpit) to 24psi+, but I believe to get the most from it you need bigger injectors which he has but doens't like running because the idle goes too lumpy. It's a 2.0 strait 6 and came from an R32 GTS-4.

Oh, 0-60 is sub 5 sec and tops out at 150 (5-speed box). Red lines at 8000 and boost comes in at 5500rpm (!). This car has the most horrendous turbo lag of anything you could ever drive, but to me it's just fun. When the boost comes in it sounds like a jet taking off.

<Martin

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Classic car!! Still see quite a few around in Japan, and they still have all they appeal they had back in the 80's! There are many that have gone for the RB30 or RB26 conversions...maybe for the future;)

Welcome to the register:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The GTS-R's that weren't track-bound were only ever available in Japan officially and there are quite a lot there with a loyal following. There are a lot of GTS-X wannabe's with GTS-R bodykits, but the chassis is a different animal.

There's a dealer just for R31's BTW

http://www.r31house.co.jp

I Know the GTS-R can't hold a candle to the modern Skyline, but I love it for being completely opposite to the DeLorean - unbelievably fast and thrilling, well engineered but completely and utterly hideous to look at , and more importantly, quite inoccuous when trundling along at 70mph (oh yes, officer)

Martin

·
Registered
14 Posts
The police...

I've heard a story about a guy who got pulled over by the nice lads in blue for doing 60 in his nice shiny GTS in a 50. The officer asked if was his car and the response was "Well, I stopped didn't I...."

I wonder what'd have happened if he'd tweaked the accelator... Ah dreams are lovely...

J.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the owner of this car has gotten away with regularly doing 140-150 for the whole time he's had it and never got pulled. Then got done for 35 in a 30 in his work's van. He paid up on the basis that is was "probably time I got done".

Martin

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Hi Martin!

Nice to see such a rare version of the skyline in the UK. :)
I remember another one for sale, sometime last year. It was a white GTS-R, and I think it was about £4,000.

Regards,
-Elliot

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Doubt it....

All GTS-R's were all "midnight blue" - I remember a white one in auto trader and it was a GTS-X. The cosmetic differences include the front spoiler, headlights (the dead giveaway) and the tail-lights - the R's have a smoked cover, the X's don't.

IIRC by complete fluke, the white one was actually a few streets away from my mate's house in essex (though he rents a house in Gosport ATM)

Martin

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Dude .. that R31 is fantastic ... you can keep the Deloreans ... but I'd relieve you of the R31 any day!! (if I had the cash to spend :p )

Excellent to see it in the UK ... oh, and welcome to the board :D

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Glorious

Martin,

That rear shot is probably my favorite Skyline photo of all time, what a truly fantasic piece of kit that car is. You are a lucky guy!! The video is top stuff :D

Can you whizz up some interior pics for me by any chance? :D

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not my car (yet)

Actually I was speaking to Si yesterday and he's gone all "mother hen" over it again and doesn't want to sell it. I'm trying arrange the two of us popping up to the Coppid Beach this Sunday.

http://www.cix.co.uk/~mgutkowski/interior.JPG

(Your wish is my command - mail me if you want some more - I have loads, though not of the interior.)

This was taken after the car had been ill and standing for some time, so it wasn't in the best of shape. I also took it with my old camera.

Martin

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
My mistake .. I thought it was yours already (too excited looking at pictures to read properly!!)

The interior pic is spot on, I wanted to see the top 80's retro cabin - I love it! I might try scouring the Jap auction houses for an R31 ... Import project Number 2! :D

Thanks for that Martin, I hope for your sake you can come up with the cash for it. What a beastie!

Cheers,

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts