GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a few issues with the fitment of the Aerocatch to my car and was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar issues and is so how they overcame them?

Fitted the aerocatch to my bonnet last night and was little disappointed with the amount of play when it is locked? There seems to be too much up/down movement of the bonnet as the pins seems to be a fraction too long? I mounted the pins on the front scuttle through existing holes above the headlights. The hole was slightly bigger than the pins but smaller than the nuts and washer, therefore allowing some movement and fine tuning of the pin location. I have threaded the not to the top if the pin but it still seems to be protruding too far up and doesn't seem to pull the bonnet down as much as I would like? Is this normal for aerocatch fittings? I've attached a pic below showing the pin location (this was before I threaded the nut to the top of the pin though).
Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.
Aki

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
what i did was use the rubber stoppers to force the bonnet/aero catch up to the top of the elongated slot in the pin.
you seem to have put them at a strange angle though, dont know why but the instructions say to have the vertical so they open towards the front of the car.
like i said, dont know the reason behind this.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the angle of the catches was purely for aesthetic reasons as it now lines up with the front edge of the bonnet. I see what you mean about the rubber bump stop lifting the bonnet but I'm really trying to pull it down more so that it is a tight fit. do you have any pics of catches on your bonnet for comparison?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
just really got this pic of the catches themselves.

the bonnet is now on my new 32 and not got around to putting the pins in yet.
i know what you mean about the pin not going far enough down due to the 2 nuts, only way around it i could see last time was to weld the nut under the front pannel and screw the pin through the top, only problem then may be the angle of the pin.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Dont know if this helps, but I have these catches on mine but the location is totally different to the first pics!
So what i found was that if i put the nuts above the scuttle panel the pins wouldnt go far enough up and into the catches for them to lock. So what I did was use a large stainless washer above the scuttle panel that was big enough for the pin shaft to go through, but not the flattened bit that the catch fastens onto, (if that makes sense?).
Then just tightened the 2 nuts from below to fix it all up safe and hey presto! jobs a good en!
If you need pics give me a shout and i'll sort them out for you.
;)
bob

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.
I think I will give the washer idea a try as I think this method may work?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Like this aki mate!

;)
bob

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Hee hee have to admit it took quite allot of thought and in the end another forum member helped me with his idea. ;)
I also just slipped a rubber grommit cut in half width wise on to the pin just to give the bonnet catch a bit of cushioning rather than have it rest straight onto the metal washer.
;)
bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts