GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I’d share this with the rest of the GTR32 owners out there.
Until I build my monster AP racing brake kit, I needed to drastically sort out the abortion of braking coming from my ’90 R32 for the time being. For a car this size / power etc, they’re frightenly shite to say the least.

So, just to get the car through the rest of the session (big brakes in winter), I did the following:

Skimmed 0.6mm either side off my V spec front discs (30.8mm width now)
Stripped & inspected each caliper – found the OS to have 2 pistons sticking. Cleaned & polished all 8 pistons & thoroughly cleaned the callipers. None of the inner seals needed replacing. The outer seals aren’t mint but will see me through this year.
Bought Ferodo DS3000 pads
Installed Goodridge stainless brake lines
Flushed the entire brake system & replaced with AP Racing fluid (£15 a bottle)
Installed a none branded Brake master cylinder stopper of ebay for £22

Since then I’ve covered about 250 miles, most of which were motorway miles, going up to XXX then stamping on the brakes to 70mph (you need this speed to cool the discs & bed the pads + discs in)

Well, yesterday I used the car in anger for the 1st time, & the results are well worth it… I stamped on the brakes a few times on the boil through my local back street lanes, and, well…. it bloody stops!!! As a stepping stone until I get the bigger brake kit installed, this setup is putting a nice fat smile on my face every time I use it now.

COST:
Discs skimmed £40 (Turboforce, Preston)
Ferodo Pads £130+VAT (RB Motorsport)
AP Racing brake fluid £15 (Ebay)
Goodridge Braided lines £80 (Ebay)
Brake master cylinder stopper £22 (Ebay)

Total £307

Results: Much better than anticipated and I don't have to worry about kicking someones back doors in everytime I try to stop.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I also found it helps to remove the inner seals and clean out behind them, It was common on motorbikes for corrosion to build up behind those seals and pinch the piston..... I had 3 out of 8 pistons stuck, Makes one hell of a difference doesnt it ? :) Nice to see you get a result from this.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I agree entirely. I did the same, braided hoses, master cylinder stopper, new DBA discs, project Mu pads and a 5.1 fluid change and have been really pleasantly suprised how well they perform. They survived Snetterton admirably where others were fading, overheating etc all around me, including those with the big brake conversions.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I think theres a lot to be said for the stock brakes, Its just by the time they have done 10 years or more they are more than ready for a full overhaul.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marky, it's funny you should say that about the inner piston rubber seals... speshly the ones wiv sticking pistons. Fished out the inner seal(s) and yes, gobs of corrosion behind the seals. Picked away the offending compound with a nice sharp(ish) long flat bladed screw driver, sprayed buckets of carb-cleaner through the pairs of calipers then blasted 'em to death with the airline... twas worth all the grubby effort :D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
When i get my car back hopefully on thursday thats going to be my next job on it...

The brakes as they stand are total crap!

Raced a 34 at Shakespeare, and as we went thru the quarter, he had stopped from 119 mph (I checked his half of the timing slip) within seconds..

I however had to carry on right down to the bottom exit (The one used by the proper quick cars) and was still worried i was going to end up in the river Avon!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theoretically the OE brakes SHOULD be ok, however as Marky pointed out, after 10-15 years of abuse & possibly little or no maintenance, they're bound to have lost they're original stopping power (like us R32 owners didn't know this anywayz). All I need now to top off this '1st stage' brake kit is a complete set of rear R33's... anyone?!?!! :p :chuckle:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
is there any way to see if pistons are sticking, without disassembling my entire caliper?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just thought I’d share this with the rest of the GTR32 owners out there.
Until I build my monster AP racing brake kit, I needed to drastically sort out the abortion of braking coming from my ’90 R32 for the time being. For a car this size / power etc, they’re frightenly shite to say the least.

So, just to get the car through the rest of the session (big brakes in winter), I did the following:

Skimmed 0.6mm either side off my V spec front discs (30.8mm width now)
Stripped & inspected each caliper – found the OS to have 2 pistons sticking. Cleaned & polished all 8 pistons & thoroughly cleaned the callipers. None of the inner seals needed replacing. The outer seals aren’t mint but will see me through this year.
Bought Ferodo DS3000 pads
Installed Goodridge stainless brake lines
Flushed the entire brake system & replaced with AP Racing fluid (£15 a bottle)
Installed a none branded Brake master cylinder stopper of ebay for £22

Since then I’ve covered about 250 miles, most of which were motorway miles, going up to XXX then stamping on the brakes to 70mph (you need this speed to cool the discs & bed the pads + discs in)

Well, yesterday I used the car in anger for the 1st time, & the results are well worth it… I stamped on the brakes a few times on the boil through my local back street lanes, and, well…. it bloody stops!!! As a stepping stone until I get the bigger brake kit installed, this setup is putting a nice fat smile on my face every time I use it now.

COST:
Discs skimmed £40 (Turboforce, Preston)
Ferodo Pads £130+VAT (RB Motorsport)
AP Racing brake fluid £15 (Ebay)
Goodridge Braided lines £80 (Ebay)
Brake master cylinder stopper £22 (Ebay)

Total £307

Results: Much better than anticipated and I don't have to worry about kicking someones back doors in everytime I try to stop.
Done all the above, But still crap at stopping.

Went for the R34 GTR brembo set at a cost of £1,400 for Pads, DBA discs, R34 GTR calipers and goodridge brake lines, Brake master stopper.

Well worth the money and can now stop.

Please also note that if you up the power of the car, Then you might need more power to stop it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Standard R32 disks and calipers
DS2500 pads front and rear
Goodrich braided lines
ATE Super blue racing fluid

Much better than before (now don't need to pray before pressing brake pedal) but still basically rubbish compared to my previous cars. On a driver training event I found after 4 laps round the cones the brakes were smoking! Probably needs better cooling and bigger disks, plus a master cylinder stopper...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts