GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the years I have played with different methods of getting cold air to my R32’s air filters since I removed my air box ~20 years ago. Most of these attempts were pretty basic looking but worked, they brought cold fresh air from the two bumper openings under the headlight and ducted the air right up to the filters. I’ve always been on the look out for a cold air pickup I could buy, but I’ve only ever seen one part in an old Hyper Revs mag years ago, but never seen them for sale.

Recently I bought myself a 3D printer and realised I now had the capability to produce a proper OEM quality parts repeatably.

As a bit of a background, for the past 25 years I have been designing Air Induction Systems for quite a few automotive OEM’s, (Ford, Jag, Audi, Caterham etc), so when I say OEM quality I understand what this really means and why we really need cold air.

So far I have made 15 prototypes working on get the fitment right around the bumper opening, sealing and avoiding Intercooler piping. Yesterday, after 22 hours of printing proto #15, I fitted the first full prototype to my car.

Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car
Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Bumper Vehicle
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive exterior Bumper Tool Composite material Auto part
Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Purple Gesture Violet Font Art

So now I am in a position to possibly offer these prototypes to anyone interested within the GT-R Register family, but up until now I have only fitted one to my car. As I said, I’m working to OEM standards so now I need to take individual vehicle build tolerances into account before I sell parts to a larger audience.

This is why this thread is in the 'Project' section and not the 'Sale' section.

Basically I am after feedback as to fitment so I can make any adjustments needed.
If there are any problems I will support my early adopter/s with modified parts if needed until the fitment is bang on every time, (although I'm pretty confident).
Ideally I'd like someone with a standard Intercooler and another with an aftermarket one.

The duct requires the front bumper to be removed and only requires two 5mm holes drilled into the Bumper reinforcement beam for mounting.
It will only work on a standard R32 GT-R bumpers, its totally discreet and can only be seen if your on your knees.

So, is anyone interested in trying out one of my prototypes ducts at a discounted price of £50 inc. hose?

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ll ask my brother if he wants to give it a try on his R32 GTR. Will drop you a pm if he is interested.

That's nice of you. Cheers. (y)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd be interested in trying this. I've got an Greddy intercooler, but looking at renewing it, for possibly a small plazmaman or another 66mm Greddy. Will likely be keep the existing Greddy until the winter though.
Car has a Greddy gracer front bumper, so not sure if that would be useful to try, or if you think it just won't fit. Also has apexi filters, if that make a difference to fitment.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've been trying to work out myself recently how to fit something similar to what you've designed, but I've the R33GTR.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'd be interested in trying this. I've got an Greddy intercooler, but looking at renewing it, for possibly a small plazmaman or another 66mm Greddy. Will likely be keep the existing Greddy until the winter though.
Car has a Greddy gracer front bumper, so not sure if that would be useful to try, or if you think it just won't fit. Also has apexi filters, if that make a difference to fitment.

Bush, I'd be interested in seeing how it fits with a Greddy IC, and the Apex'i filters don't make a difference, it's the Greddy bumper which worries me.
80% of the work i have done is getting a figure hugging profile around the standard bumpers openings, Greddy will be completely different. Your more than welcome to try one, it may need some trimming, but it won't help my development sadly.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been trying to work out myself recently how to fit something similar to what you've designed, but I've the R33GTR.
I've been asked about 33's, but without having one here with me, removing and fitting the bumper 10 or 20 times I can't help you. 😢

Maybe a future project once I find suitable 32 owners and get that product up and running.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great response. (y)

I have a couple of interested parties now, I think that should be enough for what i need.

I'll finish of the last changes to the model, print them off and be in touch over the next few days.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would be interested in trying this out, I have stock R32 front bumper and apexi filters

Thanks, I'll be in touch. (y)

I would be interested in trying one, have the stock intercooler and air box including resonator still in place.
This is really targeted at people with aftermarket pod style filters.
I'm not sure how it would hook up to the standard dirty air duct nor how it'll fit with your resonator.

Thanks very much for showing interest though. (y)

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is similar to what I did in my S15, except my bellmouth is just a piece of a shop vac that I hacked onto a stock bumper insert, so yours probably works better. The rear of my "airbox" is open and vents through the hood. Watching IATs before and after, it seems to have lowered the temperature considerably.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Alloy wheel Motor vehicle
Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Engineering Machine
Grille Table Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Fender Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

Automotive design Office equipment Computer hardware Circuit component Audio equipment
Automotive parking light Car Plant Vehicle Grille
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Automotive design
Motor vehicle Hood Product Automotive design Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a great job you have done there.

Personally I would have removed or at least cut out some of the printed hex mesh.
You'll find your open cross sectional area is probably less than half it could be, and what is left has slow moving boundary layers over the mesh elements.

But great job, I love the carbon reinforcing. 👌

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks, I figured the lattice would probably reduce my airflow, but there's a lot of road debris in rural Japan, so it seemed like a good compromise for keeping rocks, sticks, birds and junk from getting in. On a car that isn't daily driven it might be better not to have it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts