GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon folks,
In need of some assistance. I recently purchased my R32 and have been loving (almost) every minute of it. As the title states, the previous owner installed a Cusco oil catch can and it appears the drain, exhaust, and/or return line isn’t connected to anything and just pushes exhaust and oil into the atmosphere. Which has me with a few questions. 1. Is that normal? Doesn’t seem right to me. 2. If that is normal, should I plug the drain line and just drain it/check fluid levels frequently? 3. Should this “return” line be hooked up somewhere else? I’ve had moded cars but not this heavily moded.
Any assistance would be awesome!
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
List of mods I am tracking:
N1 Front BumperN1 Rear Trunk Lip, East Bear Carbon Fiber Hood, Ganador Mirrors, Volk TE37 Wheels, Bridgestone Potenza Tires, Greddy Coilovers, Aftermarket front tension arms, Defi Gauge Suite (Exhaust Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Boost, Oil Pressure), Momo Steering Wheel320 km/h speedometer, HKS EVCHKS Intakes, MAF Delete, Nismo N1 Twin Turbochargers, ARC Front Mount Intercooler, Aluminum Radiator, Air Oil Separator, Oil Filter Relocation Kit, R34 GTR Engine Cover, Front and Rear LSD, HICAS Delete

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The actual drain shouldn't be open. Plug it and drain from time to time.

The "exhaust" is the breather and is normally vented to atmosphere.

Theoretical you can return the drain to the engine oil sump but a healthy engine will mostly accumulate water in the catch can and you don't want that in you sump really, so dont bother, if enough oil is in your catch can to meaningfully affect your sump oil level you have other problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The actual drain shouldn't be open. Plug it and drain from time to time.

The "exhaust" is the breather and is normally vented to atmosphere.

Theoretical you can return the drain to the engine oil sump but a healthy engine will mostly accumulate water in the catch can and you don't want that in you sump really, so dont bother, if enough oil is in your catch can to meaningfully affect your sump oil level you have other problems.
Thanks so much for the response and providing clarity to my question!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts